: OS X & a Toshiba Digital Camera

Ravindra Mohabeer
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I have a Toshiba digital camera - it's not top of the line but I like it and it's served me well. The model number is PDR-M71.

Apple seems to have omitted Toshiba from its list of supported digital cameras, dammit.

I don't really want to set this up in Classic only, does anyone have any idea how/if I can use this camera in OS X (Panther)?

If not, anyone who is OS 9 committed looking for a 3.2mp camera? It's excellent and in great condition. I need it but I also need it to work with what I've got.

Ravi

scootsandludes
Feb 5th, 2004, 11:48 PM
You should try to plug it in before you do anything else. My camera wasn't originally supported, and I'm not sure if it is right now. but it works fine. It's a minolta, maybe that's why. But even if it isn't supported, you could get a USB flash card reader from just about anywhere, and that supports whatever type of flash card your camera uses, and you should be good.

vince

Jordan
Feb 6th, 2004, 03:28 AM
I had a similar problem with my Kyocera camera.
10.2.6 had no problems picking up this camera and importing the pics. Then I upgraded to 10.2.8 and then nothing! Tried everything to get it to recognize my camera, to no avail. Went back to 10.2.6, again, no problems. Back to 10.2.8, nothing. Went to my local Mac dealer to check out Panther, same thing, nothing, would not recognize it.

What I found though, was the ~System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/MassStorage file was different.

If you can, try different versions of OS X, find out what OS X recognizes your camera, then copy and replace that file into your computer, just a thought. ;)

jsimard
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:31 AM
I have a Toshiba PDR-M700 and it was recognized by iPhoto and by the app that came with it ACDSee on 10.2.8?
Now I recently upgraded to Panther and I don't think I've plugged it in since, maybe I'll try that tonite :confused:
If it doesn't, I'll go the card reader route.. I like this camera, its a 3.2MP with an amazing 10X Analog zoom lens (effective 390 mm FL)which with a very good X4 Digital zoom gives you X40 (Effective 1560 mm FL on a tripod).

MacDoc
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Card readers rule IMHO. Much more straight forward. :cool:

Ravindra Mohabeer
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your responses.

First, I actually tried and plugged it in before I hit my head agains the wall. No avail. I didn't even realize that it wouldn't get recognized until after I checked the help and supported devices page.

Second, I'm figuring the media reader route will be the way to go (certainly much cheaper than trying to buy a new camera...desireable but definitely out of the question).

Herein lies the next interesting dilemma. Panther only supports certain media readers - but I can't seem to find any of those locally and cheap. I like the $20-30 route but where to look?

Any suggestions? Will I be able to import the small movies from the camera (which my wife loves to take) this way as well or will I just be able to import the photos to iPhoto?

hmto
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM
I agree. A flash card reader is quite cheap now $20-30 and many support more than one media. They allow you the flexibility and convenience that a direct usb connection doesn't.

MacDoc
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:12 PM
" Panther only supports certain media readers"

never seen one yet that was not plug and play

hmto
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Hey Rav,
If you have video from your camera it will not show up within iPhoto, only the jpegs. However the card will show up on your desktop as a separate volume and you can navigate within it to reach your .mov file and can be viewd through quicktime. The reader I have is a couple years old. It's a Sandisk Imagemate that reads CF and Memory Sticks. Whenever a CF card is inserted iPhoto opens and gives you options as to importing.

I am currently running Panther. I had used it throughout Jag with only one software update to the reader and that was for RAW file compatibility. I have not had to update at all even when switching to 10.3

MacDoc
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Yep - separate volume easy to erase and if you use graphic converter you can handle the photos right on the card and move them where you want. :D

Ravindra Mohabeer
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all your responses.

In the case of media readers and Panther, this time I was going on the advice of the Image Capture support page from Apple. I didn't think that it made sense that only certain readers would be supported...now I know better.

Media reader it is!

Ravindra Mohabeer
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:27 AM
I ended up buying a multi-card reader (not writer :( ) at Factory Direct (http://www.factorydirect.ca) in Toronto (college & spadina) for $20+tax. It works like a dream.

I wonder why it is that the Apple support site for image exchange only lists a few media readers as supported?

Thanks again for the help.