: G4 MDD DUAL 867 WANTS TO START CLASSIC

jsimard
Feb 4th, 2004, 09:45 AM
When I power up the G4 in OS X.3.2, it always wants to automatically start classic?
I know that there is a button in the Classic portion of System Preferences to do this but it is not selected?
How do I stop it? :(

gordguide
Feb 4th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I assume you've already tried this:

Go to System Preferences: Classic

It should open at the Start/Stop tab, but if it isn't go there;

Uncheck the box:
Start Classic When you Log In.

While you're in System Preferences, launch Startup Disk and be sure OSX is selected, and restart.

You could also check Login Items to see if somehow Classic is enabled there.

Accounts: Startup Items

(I think this preference pane was renamed for Panther but there is a similar one in Jaguar.

[ February 04, 2004, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

jsimard
Feb 4th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks Gordguide,
It does start in Panther 10.3.2 but immediately wants to start classic also.
As I state in the original post, the Classic box is not selected in the system prefs.
Did not check the startup item however, I'll do that.
Jean

MacDoc
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Run Onyx to repair permissions. Quirks like this tend to show up with lack of maintenance. :cool:

jsimard
Feb 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM
OK I can do that, I did do it just before loading Panther, but I know you say to run this often.

But now that I think of it I do have an alias of The Tillery in the OS 9 Startup folder.

Funny, however, it was also there with Jaguar, but it never caused classic to start up?

John

jsimard
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:54 AM
OK so I cleaned the startup folder and ran Onyx repair permissions but the stuppid thing still starts classic on booth up!!
Note that this is not a big issue, there is a stop button on the classic start up screen and I just hit it and it goes away, or I can just let it start, but, why the hell is it doing it? Only since I installed Panther.... tongue.gif

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:58 AM
why don't you try selecting the "warn before starting classic" button in the 9 system preference?

not the best solution, but will let you stop classic until you/we can figure thsi out

jsimard
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:42 AM
That's a good idea MACSPECTRUM, it would give me the chance to say no earlier in the process...

gordguide
Feb 5th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Check to make sure that any applications you have in startup items are not OS9 apps (which will definitely cause Classic to run on startup).

A distinct possibility, especially with programs that run in both OS9 and OSX, is for some reason they've been set to use the OS9 version.

Try removing the startup items, maybe do a restart (will confirm that the issue is related) and then re-linking those programs you need.

You might want to do a little work with the finder's find command to make sure you know where they are (some might be invisible, ie are OSX apps that have the format .program.app as compared to a visible one which won't start with a period) before you remove them. Things like stuffit and virus programs may well start up with an invisible or obscure file residing somewhere in a library folder. Pen and paper might be a good idea.

Also, although I have no experience with this as an issue, it's possible that the order the startup apps run may have some bearing on it all. Try moving them in the list to see if that helps.

jsimard
Feb 6th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Gordguide, I know where to find the Startup folder in OS 9, where is it in OS X.3?
I'm at work on a PC redface.gif at this moment and can't go looking for it so I thought I'd ask tongue.gif
Thanks
John

gowyn
Feb 6th, 2004, 09:36 AM
accounts>loginin items

jsimard
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Hah yes I should have known that....! Thanks Gowyn