: DSL Sharing Question

Irie Guy
Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Well in around 6 weeks am I am moving back to an area with DSL coverage and I have a quick question. When I previously had DSL I used my Linksys router and PPOE to share the connection between my 2 windows machines.

Now that I am mac friendly I know that through the System profiler I can share an Internet connection. When I move should I share my connection within the router itself or from the System Profiler in the Mac? Will it make any differences? I will have 4 machines sharing the connection, 2 windows, 1 linux and my Mac. My main concerns are with security both the Router and the Mac have firewalls. Which is better?? The one in the Router or the Software based Mac one??

It is an old building where we will be working on the mainfloor and living upstairs. 3 machines will be downstairs while my Windows laptop will be upstairs. I would like to wirelessly share the internet connection to my laptop upstairs while maintaining a wired connection down. Can I simply run a cable from my downstairs router up through the floor into a Wireless hub in one room upstairs and then access the Internet with a wireless card in my laptop. If I go this route should I then use the Router to share the connection or again does it not matter.

I know that's a lot to rumble through but that's how my mind works. Any help would be appreciated.

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:25 PM
router is better and easier
routers can stay on all the time and don't impact on your mac's performance
it is a box specially designed for this function

just buy a wireless router (which also has wired ports)

the machines downstairs can connect via wire
your laptop will connect via wireless

ta-dah..... :D

i recommend the d-link 614+ for price/performance

Bertrand (Fr)
Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Hello,

Yes what propose MacSpectrum is true and the best way to work.
You can have such an example of network here. (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bertrand.lambert/images/Home_Network.jpg)

It's my home network

Irie Guy
Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:05 PM
Cheers,

BTW Nice Network Betrand. Can I expect problems with the Wireless connection in a 130 year old Brick Bulding with high ceilings that include a drop ceiling.

gordguide
Feb 4th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Like any radio wave, the antennae of the wireless router affect both the broadcast area and signal strength.

Play with different orientations of the router's antennae to overcome coverage issues, if you get any.

Out and wide = broad, flatter coverage, possibly available across the street or in your yard, but maybe not upstairs or downstairs in your home.

Crossed = narrow beam; smaller circle of coverage that won't extend far in your yard or to your neighbors but probably up 2 stories. Works great if you put the router the basement of a single-unit dwelling.

Try different configurations and use what works. Placing the router right up against a brick wall probably won't work that well, but wood walls aren't too bad.

Macified
Feb 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Wireless can be a bit finicky when you go vertical. I have found that my router likes to send out in the horizontal plane. If it's at all possible you should try to get a wireless access point in the upstairs. You might be able to get a cable inside a closet to the upper floor. You can always try it without the access point but the more transmitters you have (up to a certain point) the better.

CubaMark
Feb 4th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Just one bit of terminology nit-picking...

I think you mean "System Preferences," not "System Profiler".

;)

M

Irie Guy
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:08 PM
I think you mean "System Preferences," not "System Profiler".You are correct!!! So it looks like my best bet will be to leave downstairs wired where the computers won't be moved around and then take upstairs through the floor into a WAP which should then give me the wireless coverage on the second floor. I can't wait to get high speed back again. :D

Funny thing with where we are moving to DSL is not available through Bell but it will be coming through the local telco. It seems to be one of the few areas where an Independant ISP has got the infrastructure in before Bell. tongue.gif

Bertrand (Fr)
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Hello,

To enforce strengh of the signal at first floor of my home, Im' testing new powerline networking.

With this line supported by electrical wires, I'll put an access point at first floor.

Actually my Aiport base is in vertical position, its better for propagation between the two floors. I live a less 20 years old house with lot of iron in construction (ceillings).

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 5th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Independant ISP has got the infrastructure in before Bell. more than likely it's Bell copper
just that the Bell bean counters figure that the area is not profitable, just yet
could also be a CRTC deal
many times Bell is delayed from entering a market to give other vendors a shot at the business

Irie Guy
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:00 AM
more than likely it's Bell copperActually I don't think it is. With the move I am actually leaving the Bell system altogether for the first time in mye years of adulthood I am saying goodbye to Ma Bell. The local switching office which is right beside where we are moving to even shows the local telco name on it. It is actaully a pretty decent deal too. Business line with DSL and long distance package for $105.00.