: erase previous system folder

wonderings
Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:42 PM
I had to do an archive and install about 2 weeks ago, and it worked great and everything is as it should be. I was just looking through the HD folders and noticed the previous system folder which is using about 2.5 gigs of space that I would love to have free. Can I just delete this folder? or is going to cause a nightmare for me? This is on OS 10.2.8 of a Dual 1ghz G4

Chealion
Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
You can go ahead and delete it. The purpose of the Archive and Install is to archive the old system in case you need files from it, reference, or a backup.

After that, you can go right ahead and delete it.

Bertrand (Fr)
Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
Yes,

if your system is running well and you've tried completly all your applications you can throw away.

Willem
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:04 PM
The generous and kind folks at Applecare are sending me a new set of OS X 10.3 install disks to replace the 'fawlty' set that came with the iMac G4 I bought last August.

Being iMpatient, I installed 10.2, updated it to 10.2.8, which then froze, due mainly to my not being able to tell the front of an iMac from the back. I did an Archive and Install of 10.2, tried to update again to 10.2.8, but the download won't install (Installer screen stays blank).

I also now have a Previous System folder which, reading the previous posts, I think I can safely get rid of (although some updated apps like iPhoto and iCal aren't working under the current 10.2).

Coming to the point then:
When I get the 10.3 replacement disks from Applecare, I'd like to do an Erase and Install (clean slate and all that). I assume I need to back up all my folders on a removable disk in that case: music, pictures, the works.

Or is this a very very bad idea?

Is the Upgrade option perhaps the best choice?

Or another Archive and Install, which will leave my hard disk with another Previous System to be deleted or left alone?

Do talk some common sense into me, before I screw up again. But please be gentle, I'm a bit of a MacVirgin.

Macaholic
Oct 21st, 2004, 12:59 PM
Sounds like you got a screwed up jag install, there. Wipe it and givre yourself a fresh Panther colonic :D

thewitt
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:04 PM
William> If you just want to save your music, mail, photos and such, then back up your 'home' folder.

HDD>Users> The one that looks like a house and has your name on it.

(Single user machine, right?)

Do an erase and install with 10.3, run software update a couple of times.

Then you can later replace the empty folders (music, photos...) with the ones you backed up.

You will have to re-install your applications.

thewitt
Oct 21st, 2004, 04:05 PM
In 10.3 you can just plop that home folder back in place and have your system running as it was. Does anyone know if you can do that from 10.2 to 10.3?

Willem
Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:34 AM
Thanks Macaholic, for that clear and blunt diagnosis.

And thank you, thewitt, for your advice. I will back up the home folder as you suggested, and see what happens when I put it back after the upgrade. Looking forward to start using a panther that actually runs. Thanks.