: How To Change My "Home" Name?

Wolfshead
Dec 7th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I've just been given a new MacBrook Pro (Mavericks) but I'm having a few teething problems. Can someone please tell me how I can change the name on my "home"? Despite doing my best to remain anonymous, Apple has decided to name it for me, using my first name. Is there a way to change this? Also is there a "missing manual" for this OS before I start ripping out my hair?

Thank you in anticipation of your help. Any input would be much appreciated :)

eMacMan
Dec 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Since this is a fresh start, easiest way is to create a new admin account. Name it whatever you like, then delete your old account.

NOTE: you will lose your Mail settings, address book entries and bookmarks using this technique. Bookmarks and Address Book can be exported, saved and re-imported at the new location.

Other problem areas can be iPhoto, iTunes and any data you may have saved to your documents or desktop folders. Be very sure you have everything backed up and moved before deleting that old account.

pm-r
Dec 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM
If it's anything like my fourth Mavericks install attempt so it would run properly and without the Console going nuts, that finally worked yesterday, it seems that Apple doesn't want you to just put any name for the user.

With my full name added, I was not allowed to change the shortened name to what I wanted.

I ended up creating a new admin user I named "Tester" and was allowed to use 'tester' as the short name. So nice of Apple to have allowed that!!!

When booted in as Tester, I was able to finally create an admin user using my full name and a short name that I, not Apple, wanted to use.

And yes, it kept insisting on an Apple ID and doing something with my apparent iCloud name and password which was a bit of a PITA.

So far it's working OK this am with a few quirks to attend to.

PS: Heed eMacMan's advice about having a backup of your data, regardless of what name it may be shown/listed under.

WCraig
Dec 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
...When booted in as Tester, I was able to finally create an admin user using my full name and a short name that I, not Apple, wanted to use. ...

I'll bite--why on Earth do you care?

Craig

pm-r
Dec 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I'll bite--why on Earth do you care?

Craig

Hmmm...a bit of an odd question to me but why wouldn't I care and have my full user name and short name as I want it.

I guess you don't or wouldn't care. But maybe that might change depending on the name Apple might provide for you to use, and I can sure think of some you might want to avoid using. :D

pm-r
Dec 8th, 2013, 03:53 PM
... ... ... Also is there a "missing manual" for this OS before I start ripping out my hair?

You can start off with the built-in Help that's available from the desktop 'Help' menu in the Finder and with most applications.

Then Apple's site provides a lot of help and data as well, but not always everything one needs or wants to know.

Wolfshead
Dec 8th, 2013, 06:59 PM
With regard to the home name, it's not the same as my admin name, I'm not actually sure where Apple got my real first name, presumably at some stage of setting up I had to give it. As for why I want to change it, past experience has taught me that Apple tends to attach my name to various documents, audios etc. without me even being aware of it. The nature of my work makes this less than desirable.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input - it's appreciated! Oh, and apparently a Missing Manual will be out soon. I've never found the Apple "help" particularly helpful!

pm-r
Dec 8th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I just came across this while looking for a Mavericks fix for myself:

How to Browse the Internet with Safari with OS X Mavericks - For Dummies (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-browse-the-internet-with-safari-with-os-x-m.html)

"Get the Book

OS X Mavericks For Dummies (1118691881) cover image
OS X Mavericks For Dummies
US $29.99 Add To Cart"

Unfortunately I wasn't able to buy it at their store:
How to Browse the Internet with Safari with OS X Mavericks - For Dummies (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-browse-the-internet-with-safari-with-os-x-m.html)

And BTW: I found the answer for some Mail URL/Safari annoyances and apparently they are possibly here to stay, so I think I'll just head back and boot my Snow Leopard. At least things work the way I want there and I don't think I'll miss anything from 10.9.

And at least SL still has a small bit of colour left and doesn't look like a grey graveyard in a thick fog everywhere!!

WCraig
Dec 9th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Hmmm...a bit of an odd question to me but why wouldn't I care and have my full user name and short name as I want it.

I guess you don't or wouldn't care. But maybe that might change depending on the name Apple might provide for you to use, and I can sure think of some you might want to avoid using. :D

The default user id is whatever you feed in during the install. You enter "Albert Einstein" and your short name becomes "alberteinstein". Still, why do you care?

Craig
(A rose by any other name...)

WCraig
Dec 9th, 2013, 09:34 AM
...As for why I want to change it, past experience has taught me that Apple tends to attach my name to various documents, audios etc. without me even being aware of it. The nature of my work makes this less than desirable. ...

Ah, criminal activity...gotcha! Say no more, Mayor Ford. ;)

Craig

"You have zero privacy anyway. Get over it."
Scott McNealy - Wikiquote (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Scott_McNealy)

pm-r
Dec 9th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I've just been given a new MacBrook Pro (Mavericks) but I'm having a few teething problems. Can someone please tell me how I can change the name on my "home"? Despite doing my best to remain anonymous, Apple has decided to name it for me, using my first name. Is there a way to change this? ... ...

Actually as I just discovered, it's really quite easy to change. Have a look at these:

Changing the short username in Leopard | Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/article/1132693/changeshortusername.html)

How to Change the Short Name of a User Account in Mac OS X (http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/20/change-short-name-user-mac-os-x/)

OS X: How to change user account name or home directory name (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US)

But even with that changed, you may want to look at some other stuff like your info that may be used for 'auto-complete' etc.