: Drive doesn't show in OS 10.2 installation window

Ranjit
Feb 1st, 2004, 09:28 PM
While re-installing OS 10.2 , I erased the disk on my Pismo by selecting both icons displayed. Now when installing the OS the drive does not show up in the "Select Destination Drive" screen.

How can I fix this so that the drive shows which will allow me to proceed with installing the OS ?

Thanks very much

dthompson101
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:18 PM
How big is your drive? I believe that on those models, you have to install Mac OS X on an 8GB or less partition. It must also be the first partition on the disk.

Load up Disk Utility and create a 2 partition disk. 1 being a little less than 8GB and the rest of it being the remaining. You should not have a problem after that...

Ranjit
Feb 1st, 2004, 11:39 PM
Hi David,

Actually the machine has had one 27.95 Gb partition up until today when I did this stupid formatting thing. I thought the format would wipe out everything and I would reinstall the OS as I was loaning it to a friend for a couple of weeks.

The disk utility informationn tab is completly blank and in the left side window the two drive icons are shown, the top one has the ize 27.95Gb , however the lower indented icon is blank. Normally the size or name are shown here.

Thanks

monokitty
Feb 2nd, 2004, 12:02 PM
I believe that on those models, you have to install Mac OS X on an 8GB or less partition. It must also be the first partition on the disk.This applies to the Beige G3 series and iMac (tray-loading) series only - not Pismo's. Probably of the most confused and mixed up conceptions there is to Mac OS X & Installation woes.

MacNutt
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:47 PM
I ran into this very same problem when jaguar first came out and I tried to install it on my Pismo 400. It has an aftermarket 20gigHD.

I nearly tore my hair out for three weeks trying to install Jag on my black beauty. Same deal...no drive visible in the "choose a destination" window during the install.

I never did get it resolved properly. I got it to install twice out of sixteen seperate tries. Both were with partitions, as I recall. Both installs ran dog slow and collapsed in a heap of kernel panics a day or so later.

The Pismo currently runs OS9.1 and is happily purring along. I picked up a used G4 Sawtooth for Jaguar, and it has become my daily driver.

So...tell me again just what I have to do in order to get Jag to run on my Pismo. I'm listening.

Ranjit
Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:08 PM
I took it down to Carbon Computing and the techinical person there fixed it in less than a minute. It looks like I had neglected to check the "Install Mac OS 9 divers" box. It appears that you have to do this when formatting the internal drive on a Pismo. As I had planned to only install OS X , I thought I did not need select this oprion

The techinical person checked the box and ran the Disk Utility, formatted the drive and the drive showed up.

When I offered to pay, they said "no charge". I think this was very kind of them

Thank you to all who responded with suggestions