: VPN Frustration ... help!!

chy
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM
Hi,

I have an Asante VR2004AC VPN router. I've had no luck completing an IPSec connection thru this machine using either VPN tracker or VaporSec.

I need to get a reliable VPN set up so if anyone has had success with a similar setup or if you have recommendations of a VPN router that works with Apple's Internet Connect, I would appreciate any input ....

thanks kindly.

chy
Feb 2nd, 2004, 11:16 PM
Has anybody had success in the Mac world with a Netopia R9100 running a PPTP VPN, connecting via Apple's Internet Connect?

Thanks

chy
Feb 4th, 2004, 12:07 AM
I have a 'PC Agitant' having a lot of fun at my expense, saying how useless Macs are for common business use (like VPNs).

Anyone willing to help me prove him wrong?? graemlins/nuts.gif

mycatsnameis
Feb 5th, 2004, 01:10 PM
I can't, unfortunately solve you problem but figured I'd wade in since I'm going to be needing to set up a VPN connection myself in the next month or so.

You haven't provided much detail on your configuration. What OS version are you running. I know that Panther is touting improved VPN compatibility (although, based on the discussions on the Apple web site this may be a bit over sold).

There are VPN specific threads on Macintouch (I would start with a basic search of that site using keywords specific to your situation). Ditto for Macfixit.

As alluded to above there are also discussions (http://discussions.info.apple.com/) on this topic to be found on the main Apple web site if you search (Panther forum, Jaguar forum etc.)

Good luck, this is not an easy problem to solve, I know that much. I will post back here once I get my fob and attempt to log in using the Cisco protocol under Panther (something that is supposed to work but frequently does not from what I hear).

chy
Feb 5th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the ideas of where to look ...

I'm running Panther 10.32. Trying to log into an IPSec VPN via an Asante VR2004AC. I tried both VPN Tracker and VaporSec and a myriad of configuration mutations.

mycatsnameis
Feb 5th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Well go search teh Apple KBs re: VPN and Panther. I think that may be the next logical step. However, if neither VPNT or VS have been able to solve your problem, I'm pessimistic.

Have you emailed the tech support people who make VPNT? I understand that they are very repsonsive (although not always able to solve the problems).

chy
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:54 PM
you said:

Have you emailed the tech support people who make VPNT? I understand that they are very repsonsive (although not always able to solve the problems).
-------

Sure did. I emailed tech support for the router, for vpn tracker and for vaporsec with no response from anyone.

I appreciate feedback from people who are in the field first hand. As another option, if anyone is using the USR8200 and a VPN PPTP connection using Internet Connect, I'd appreciate hearing from you.