: Virtual PC 4 and DOS games?

skinnyman
Jan 31st, 2004, 04:49 PM
I just got VPC 4 and am trying to get some DOS games to work on it. No luck yet though. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

I especially wanted to play Warcraft II (I know there's a mac version, but I haven't gotten around to buying it yet smile.gif ), but when I run the installation program, it freezes.

DOS games aside, I was really amazed with VPC. It was a wierd feeling seeing the ugly windows desktop on my mac (who chose that dull green background colour anyways?). I can finally open all those pesky Word docs that everyone insists on sending me (I know there's a mac version too, but $$$). With VPC, I can finally let go of my PC for good! :cool:

MACSPECTRUM
Jan 31st, 2004, 05:04 PM
VPC and DOS games is a bad combination.
many times DOS games make low level calls to hardware for performance reasons
these instances are not likely to be handled by a software emulation

LGBaker
Jan 31st, 2004, 11:08 PM
There are other ways to open .doc files. For instance icWord from Panergy

icWord (http://www.panergy-software.com/products/icword/index.html)

It has always worked real well for me.

gordguide
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:11 AM
A lot of Windows and DOS games make "sneaky" calls to the underlying hardware to get past some limitations in the OS, and this was particularly common with DOS games and Windows 3.1/95.

Applications have to play by the rules to work with emulation; they're not going to find the "back doors" where they expect them to be with actual hardware.

Having said that, try. Older Windows games often work perfectly. Newer games tend to be slow.

Also, VPC4 emulates built-in PC video (shared memory); as far as graphics are concerned the game will think there's no video card installed at all.

PosterBoy
Feb 1st, 2004, 05:41 AM
Huh. I wonder if the original Wing Commander would run....

I'll have to find the disks and burn them on CD (and find the manual, old copy protection schemes were the best ones).

skinnyman
Feb 1st, 2004, 03:34 PM
Well, this isn't the best of news. Part of the reason I bought VPC was to play PC games! I did try Rollercoaster Tycoon, and while it was playable, I don't think I could stand the jagged framerate for long periods.

I just got printing setup in VPC today, and was able to print a Word doc to my Laserwriter though. That was pretty cool. smile.gif

So, what you're saying is that DOS games probably won't work? I was hoping to buy Transport Tycoon off ebay (yes, I'm quite into these "tycoon" games) as it is one of my favourite games. But there's no way to know if it will work for sure :(

gordguide
Feb 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure what Microsoft says, but Connectix used to state quite prominently in all literature and on the box itself that it doesn't recommend VPC as a game platform.

mbaldwin
Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:01 AM
Transport Tycoon! Now that takes me back. I used to waste many an hour on my roommate's PC with that game.

That game may be old enough to actually work, I bet a beefy G4 with a ton of RAM may be able to emulate fast enough to make it playable. I'm sure it would be jerky, but it was jerky on the ancient Pentium (or was it a 486?) that I played it on and I still loved it. smile.gif

- Martin.

skinnyman
Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:54 AM
Yep, Transport Tycoon, Chris Sawyer's first success. smile.gif

You can really see the similarities between this game and Rollercoaster Tycoon.

PosterBoy
Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:41 AM
2x post

PosterBoy
Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:43 AM
Wing Commander works in Win98SE in VPC6.1. (http://www.flyingmonkeys.org/~posterboy/archives/2004/02/01/take_command.php)

skinnyman
Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:38 PM
Cool smile.gif I wish I had your "problem."

If you want to slow it down, there are several free windows programs that will do just that. They are specifically designed to make old games run at their intended speed. Just do a google search for such a program.

PosterBoy
Feb 5th, 2004, 02:40 PM
I actually got it running in Windows 98 (as opposed to DOS mode) now, and it runs slower but kind of choppy.

I will probably take another look later today and see what I can do.