: virtual PC6.1 & USB printer

QuestVideo
Jan 27th, 2004, 08:16 PM
How do I set up my printer in windows 2000 on VPC6.1
I have a canon i550 USB printer. When I go through the prinert set up wizard it doesn't list usb as an input just com1,com2,ect.
I have a dual 867MDD with 1gig RAM
thanks
Russell

Fox
Jan 27th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I don't know about VPC 6, but in 5, they tell you it's better not to set up the printer through windows. If you follow this instruction, the VPC software will print through the Mac driver and you'll have access to the printer on both platforms at the same time. Your manual or on-line help in VPC should explain to you exactly how to set it up this way.

neema
Jan 27th, 2004, 08:40 PM
hey,

VPC is a pain in the ass when it comes to printers... it only works with a specific list of them and they cannot be active in MAC OS when you use them on your Guest OS.

I was unable to find the list, but I was able to find this MS Knowledge Base entry:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=824366&product=vpcmac

Hope that helps!

gordguide
Jan 28th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Printing is essentially broken in VPC. Some configurations work, but not many.

Although it's a bit of a hassle, you're better off setting up a shared volume in VPC and just sending saved documents to it, then printing them from the Mac side. That won't work if you can't open the document in MacOS, but most PC files will open in some Mac application or other.