: OS X Mail spellcheck - can it learn?

MACSPECTRUM
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:08 AM
DP 500, 512 mb ram, running panther 10.3.2

i have "check spelling" selected in Mail
is there a way to;
1. teach Mail about new words
2. have Mail offer spelling suggestions?

like Outlook Express under 9

thanx

Moscool
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Control click on a highlighted word (red underline) will give you a number of choices, icluding changing dictionaries and adding to the current one. Slight oddity: you need to control click when you are outside the word i.e. if your cursor is already on the word, the choices won't appear.

The spell-check works at the OSX level, so the same will be true for iChat AV for example.

My problem with the current system is that it can't deal with multiple languages the way MS Office does.

MACSPECTRUM
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:32 AM
moscool,
thanx for the tip
is there any way to auto spell check before the mail is sent?
a la OE ?

i.e. so that i don't have to control-click on each mispelled word and that the suggested spellings are automatically displayed

perhaps i am living in a pipe dream

MACSPECTRUM
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:39 AM
using my 2 button mouse, i right clicked on the mail and the spelling menu comes up

thanx again moscool !! smile.gif

Moscool
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Happy to help!

Indeed I forgot to mention that control click was the equivalent of right click (hey I'm operating from a PB12, you know, the one that doesn't have a forward delete key.... :rolleyes: )...

Chealion
Jan 26th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Moscool - Try pressing the Fn key, and then press the delete key. It works wonders. I just found out about it yesterday. Makes wanting another keyboard non-existent now smile.gif

Moscool
Jan 26th, 2004, 06:36 PM
You're right my friend. Found out about this a couple of months ago. But it is impractical to use two keys, especially when fwd delete is so heavily used in all forms of editing.

Furthermore, there are two useless keys on my keyboard: the eject button (9 times out of 10 you need to eject through software); and the enter button (10 times out of 10 the Return key will do the job). Perhaps I could reconfigure my keyboard? I don't know how...

gordguide
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:39 PM
F12 should eject the CD on powerbooks. Used to work on my G4 but not since 10.3 was installed, although I haven't tried it from within an application (ie SW eject).