: DVD playback problems

scootsandludes
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:44 PM
I just bought and installed the new LG 4081. I'm running a b+w G4 450 from macdoc, I'm running 10.3.2. I installed the patch that I got from xlr8yourmac.com. But it doesn't playback any movies, it's reading, and I haven't tried burning (I know it won't burn from the finder, so that's not an issue).

On another note, I thought I would try playing movies in 9, but instead of booting up, I got a grey screen and my cursor wasn't moving, then holding down option and then also X didn't work either for rebooting, I had to put in my Panther disc to change the startup drive.

any ideas?

vince

Terry O'Leary
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Does DVD Player even open ?

i) If it does, have you tried to Open the VIDEO_TS Folder of the DVD using DVD Player ?

ii) If DVD Player does not open create a very short DVD in TOAST 6 saving it as a disc image. Then mount the disc image from Toast. DVD Player is much more likely to run now.

Hope this helps - Terry

monokitty
Jan 25th, 2004, 01:58 PM
There's something else wrong, because you don't need a driver for that Combo drive for DVD-playback - if the DVD Player sees it as a DVD-ROM drive, then it will work, regardlesss if a driver is installed.

scootsandludes
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:35 PM
The driver is just to make the drive more compatable with the finder burner in itunes etc... not a big thing.

I got a feeling that the dvd player wasn't installed with Panther, is that possible for with slower g4's w/o a super/combo drive to not install it?

But I'm little concern about trying to boot up in 9 and getting a blank grey screen with a frozen cursor. I don't have any icons coming up not even the dreaded ? Not that I go into 9 that often, but I was just checking to see if dvd player would work in that enviroment.

vince

Terry O'Leary
Jan 25th, 2004, 06:50 PM
You can use Pacifist to force installation of DVD Player from the OS X install CDs.

Which Mac have you got? Some Macs require os X boot drives to be the "Master" drive on the bus.

Did you check other reports on xlr8yourmac.com to see if other owners have a similar problem ?

- Terry

scootsandludes
Jan 25th, 2004, 07:32 PM
thanks that got dvd player installed.

vince