: Disk Utility Report on SSD

csonni
Nov 16th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Decided to boot off a recent Clone on my external FW drive and run Disk Utility Verify Disk on my Main SSD on my MBP. I was a bit surprised at the errors in came up with that needed fixing:

Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks.
Invalid volume free block count. Should be 68418697 instead of 68377842.
The Volume ____ was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

I ran the repair and got:
Volume was repaired successfully.
Updating boot support partition for the volume as required.

I guess it's been some time since I checked with Disk Utility from another boot drive.

But I'm wondering now if Disk Utility is meant to accurately check and repair SSDs.

And then, running Disk Warrior at the same time reported that 41% was out of order. Alsoft says it's safe to run DW on an SSD but other places say no way.

I'm a bit skeptical, curious and a bit shaken concerning my expensive SSD. Any need to be?

pm-r
Nov 16th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Nothing really out of the ordinary and especially if you're running an Apple installed SSD. The software they include to look after their installed SSDs may just not have got around to doing all its maintenance.

The included OS X version of DU will do the proper thing with its report and repair, but I'd keep an eye on the SSD and run DU again in a few weeks and check. But don't be too surprised if you see some block count errors. As our home builder would say: shi* happens and not to worry.

DW provides the option to create a brand new directory that DU doesn't do, so you have that option.

But I sure wouldn't run both DU and DW together and at the same time.

Otherwise I'd carry on as you have been doing and don't worry about it too much. Both utilities are just doing their job, and the results you got are pretty typical.

Just make sure you're using the proper version of DW for your OS X version being used, and I'd trust what they say regarding SSD repairs and is well tested and true.

csonni
Nov 16th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Actually, the SSD in question is an OWC Mercury Electra 6GB 480GB. Thanks for the advice.

SINC
Nov 16th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I have the identical SSD in my 2011 MBP and have had for two years now, although back then it was over $800. I routinely use Disk Utility and OnyX on the drive when required without any ill effects whatsoever.

IllusionX
Nov 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Might want to enable trim on your drive if supported..

SINC
Nov 18th, 2013, 09:13 AM
OWC specifically recommends NOT to use trim on their drives. ;)

To TRIM or not to TRIM (OWC has the answer) | Other World Computing Blog (http://blog.macsales.com/11051-to-trim-or-not-to-trim-owc-has-the-answer)