: Everything falls apart at once.

Carl
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:19 AM
Well, you could start by updating to 9.2.2. They are free from Apple. Use the software update control panel.
Go to versiontracker.com or macupdate.com and get the latest drivers for you peripherals.
Run Norton, perhaps clean out the preferences folder. restart and rebuild the desktop.
That alone, could do alot for you.

dinosaur
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
It's hard being a dinosaur.
I have a G4 350 running system 9.1 and it is sorely in need of someone who knows what they're doing (and that's not me). It's really messed up. I realized awhile ago that my Arcus II scanner had stopped working. Maybe it's a coincidence, but now my Sandisk card reader isn't working either. I think I might have system software issues going on and don't really believe my stuff is failing all at the same time. I don't have money just now, as I'm returning from a year of doing what made me happy and am trying to find gainful employment. I can pay later, or offer various contra... any takers? I don't wanna be a dinosaur but I can't change all by myself. <sniff>

TroutMaskReplica
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
what software have you installed recently? you may have an extensions conflict.

failing that, if you have a system cd, perform an archive install - after you have performed proper backup.

post back here with more info. myself or someone else will walk you through this depending on what info you come back with.

TroutMaskReplica
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
i should mentioned that you should perform carl's suggestions first.

andreww
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:11 AM
"Well, you could start by updating to 9.2.2."

Actually, if you are not using OSX, stick with 9.1. Development on the OS9 system actually halted at 9.1. Any upgrades after that simply improved compatability in classic mode, but many will tell you that OS9.1 was more stable.

You don't say how your scanner is hooked up, SCSI, USB? 99% of all OS9 problems are extension related, and I would assume thats where your problem lies.

Lawrence
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:19 PM
This conversation might help:

Agfa conversation (http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004t8A)

Dave :cool:

monokitty
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Actually, if you are not using OSX, stick with 9.1. Development on the OS9 system actually halted at 9.1. Any upgrades after that simply improved compatability in classic mode, but many will tell you that OS9.1 was more stable.Correct, to an extent. Installing Mac OS 9.2.x on unsupported machines makes it an unstable operating system, but on a factory-original G3 or bettter, it's not recommended you run anything less than 9.2.2. 9.2.x actually has some performance and stability improvements over Mac OS 9.1 on supported machines.

simon
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:23 PM
edit: whoops ...

simon
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Maybe you should check your SCSI chain .. do you have a SCSI ID conflict? Did you change your setup recently - maybe you forgot to terminate the chain properly or not at all.

This would be the simplest thing to start with rather than fiddling with software settings and such.