: Printer not working through G-port

Macfriend
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:15 PM
Hi

My old Personnal LaserWriter printer has some serious problem working in OS 9.2.2 on my B&W equiped with a G-Port. All extensions are in the extension file. The modem works just fine through the G-Port. Usualy I use OS 10.1, but since I rarely print, I don't mind going back to 9.

When I try to print (in OS 9), the computer goes to a crawl then a standstill.Spooling is not functionning. Any command just won't execute, or VERY slowly.

Any hints??

Rob
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:00 PM
Does your G-Port support Appletalk? If not, it may not work with your Laser Printer. Some of the low end non-Postscript printers will work on a regular serial port. I think all the Postscript printers need an Appletalk (LocalTalk) compatible port (GeoPort).

Edit: The Griffen site says the Gport supports Localtalk so it should work with your printer. There must be some other issue.

[ January 23, 2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Rob ]

Macfriend
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Yes, that's what I'm figuring. The printer works in a non-Apple talk environment. I think I'll just take the lazy approch: I'll buy a serial to USB adaptor.

Rob
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:45 PM
Check the Apple web site. I wonder if your printer is supported in 9.2.2. I'd make sure before you blow any cash on a serial/usb adapter.

I know these old non-Postscript models don't work in OSX. Maybe Apple dropped support in the later versions of 9. Just a guess.