: USB french keyboard problem

iMike
Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
Hi all,

I posted this before and no one answered. I have a beige G3 with a USB card running OS 9.2. I purchased a used apple pro french keyboard but the french characters don't work. I've tried changing the keyboard layout but the keyboards always types in US layout. Should I try connecting to a hub? Or do these keyboaords even work with beiges? I should mention that all the other extra keys like the volume up and down and CD eject keys do work.

Thanks for your help

Mike

Macfriend
Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Hi

I used to have a beige G3 and a French keyboard. French or French-Canadian layout worked.

I'll tell you what to do by memory. Go to the Apple menu, "tableau de bord" ; there choose "clavier" and the config you need. If it still doesn't work out, do the next move, that I figured out after quite a while.

First, un-choose all layouts. Close. Then go back an choose Canada CSA and Franšais-Canada. Go back to "Clavier" in the Apple menu and check the layout.

If it is still not right, just click on the keyboard definition icon on the scroll menu bar on the upper right hand side of you monitor. There, you'll see if the French-Canadian and the Canada CSA are chossen. If not, just click the one you need.

iMike
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks fo rthe response. However this doesnt work. Perhaps its because I am using an english system. My wife types in French so we need the french keyboard. Our old ADB french keyboard works fine but we hate it. The box for the Apple Pro says it must be a "USB-equipped" Mac. Maybe that means it had to be stock USB and not third party.

iMike
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks fo rthe response. However this doesnt work. Perhaps its because I am using an english system. My wife types in French so we need the french keyboard. Our old ADB french keyboard works fine but we hate it. The box for the Apple Pro says it must be a "USB-equipped" Mac. Maybe that means it had to be stock USB and not third party.