: 1 - 2 second freezes

mrjimmy
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:14 AM
I've been doing a lot of 2D work lately and suddenly my machine (G4 533mp) developed this annoying little habit of freezing for one or two seconds. It's never done this before and I'm worried it may be a harbinger of things to come.

I'm currently using system 9.2.1 (I know, I know). Could it be RAM? HD? Processor :eek: :eek: :eek: ? Software related?

Thanks

TroutMaskReplica
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:17 AM
i've never used a pre-OS X system that doesn't do that.

consider yourself lucky that performance has been so good up till now.

you could go through your extensions and turn off anything you don't need. file sharing too. are you on a network?

did you install any software recently?

MacDoc
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:38 AM
"i've never used a pre-OS X system that doesn't do that.
'
Thats' not a common problem and we have hundreds of OS9 machines out there in heavy work environments without that issue. I don't think that's a fair comment.

Any chance your email program is open and checking for mail??

Any other "utilities" running in the background.?? :cool:

Any USB devices that might be suspect??

MannyP Design
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:43 AM
I've had this happen on a variety of occasions, but never found the solution. :(

Several factors may (my theory) could stem from:

- file sharing
- CD in drive? (I find leaving a CD in the drive will cause the Mac to slow down)
- network activity (AppleTalk active?)
- energy saver (sleep settings for HD and display?)
- software update -- is it on a schedule where it checks for new updates?
- indexing -- are the default settings enabled?
- do you regularly rebuild the desktop (zap the PRAM?)
- 3rd party utilities (like Norton, where background processes could momentarily halt things as it does whatever it does).
- defragging on a regular basis?
- clear out useless apps/files (how many copies of SimpletText or TeachText can you find? ;) )
- Fonts -- do you use a lot or leave them enabled all the time (using ATM, or Suitcase?)
- auto-save could be an issue; is it available in your application?

Anyway, It's a shot in the dark... but it can't hurt to visit these options outside of updating to 9.2.2... it may help. Or not. tongue.gif

mac-man6
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:52 AM
I find this happens on my iMac 333 when I'm running QuarkXPress in Classic. I don't know why but it is annoying.

mrjimmy
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

It could be my browser (Netscape 7, another ugh) checking for email, although it's never been a problem. Nothing new was installed...Perhaps I'll try a rebuild and zap and see where that gets me.

Anyone think it's hardware related?

Macaque
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:55 PM
Mouse

Rob
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:38 PM
I had exactly the same symptoms about a year ago on one of my Macs.

By fluke I discovered the problem was an external firewire drive. The drive was not turned on but the firewire cable was hooked up. It appears that the computer would try to detect the firewire drive through the firewire cable even though the device wasn't turned on.

This was driving me crazy for days with these momentary interruptions. I just happened to notice that the little light on the drives' on button would appear at low level at the same time the delays were happening.

I solved the problem by pulling the firewire cable from the drive.

This only happens with my older ADS 5 1/4" firewire cases. I have some other cases that don't seem to have this problem.

gordguide
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Problems with USB can cause this. If you have a lot of USB devices attached, especially via a hub, and also especially if one of those devices is a scanner, that could be it.

USB is periodically polling the bus to see what is connected. Perhaps one of your devices is drawing too much power, or isn't working properly. It could be software-related if some of your USB stuff needs a driver or other enabling software.

You can test by unplugging everything except KB and mouse.

Try using both ports on your Mac instead of having everything plugged into one; and use a powered hub.