: Partitioning Hard Drive

MusicMan
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
I installed an 80 gig HD in my iMac 233 last night. I partitioned the drive with an 8 gig for OSX. Would I have been able to install the HD and not partition it at all and still us OSX and OS9?

iTony
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:21 PM
Your iMac (Rev A) like my Beige G3 requires the first 8GB set aside for OS X. So in answer to your question, no, you would have had to partition in order to use OS X (and OS 9).

andreww
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:24 PM
the kbase article that explains it is here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106235

MacDoc
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:43 PM
You should be careful with heat with an 80 gig in that box especially if it's an 8 meg cache drive
There is no fan. :cool:

MusicMan
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:47 PM
It has a 2 cache. Is that dangerous? Should I remove it?

zigzagry
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:08 PM
I have os x 10.8 installed on a (gasp) 4.5 gig partition and it has been on here and working for about 10 months now. I cant say that everything has been fine. Im almost ready to purchase a new hd now that I have a new system.

I dont know if this is a kernel panic but sometimes the screen will gray over and display a message saying that you must hold down the power button to reset the computer.

I have a friend with a g4 700 Imac. It has a 40gig hd with no partition and osx 10.2.6 and he gets the same problem but not as often.

anyone know what it is?

[ January 21, 2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: zigzagry ]

Lawrence
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:53 PM
I dont know if this is a kernal panic but sometimes the screen will grey over and display a message saying that you must hold down the power button to reset the computer. I had that happening as little as a month ago,
But as sudden as it started it stopped.

I'm not sure how it started or how I stopped it,
But perhaps an application that I installed and uninstalled
caused it to disappear.

Perhaps the latest Java update fixed it, I have no idea,
But I know what you mean about how it looks when it happens.

Dave :cool: