: quick books

ram55
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:52 PM
Anyone know if you can convert files from Quick books 2000 on a PC over to macintosh?

Thnaks

(( p g ))
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Which version of QuickBooks for the Mac are you using? Version 5 or 6?

ram55
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:36 PM
We haven't actually bought the program yet. So we could get either.

Caillou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
Touchy issue... Caution with QuickBooks 5 and 6 then. I was told that the new Mac version is nothing else both a (badly) repackaged MYOB for Mac (statement to be verified). Intuit acquired MYOB in 2003 I beleive.

As a QB NewUser Edition on Mac (came with my TiBook at a very low price) v5.01, I can say that (1) support from Intuit Canada is... let's call it limited to be polite, (2) support and help from Intuit US (QB help line) is very costly, (3) Intuit canada and Intuit US don't seem to be connected other than by the ownership of a join brand name, and (4) some of Intuit's policies pertaining to Mac-PC interoperability are nothing but unacceptable (e.g. need to buy a costly third party product to transfer data from a version to its upgraded version. Nothing to make a customer happy.)

I don't possess the Truth on all here, but I have read and heard enough to create a (healthy?) doubt in my mind about Intuit product.

So my advice to you: do your shopping homework carefully and double check all information received with people whom have actually experienced the real stuff.

graemlins/heybaby.gif Hope it helps.

(( p g ))
Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
I helped beta test QuickBooks Version 6 for 2004 and I've been pretty pleased with it overall (both the betas and the final). The interface is much like what it was in version 5, so I'm not sure what the MYOB matter is all about.

In essence here are the key features in 6. You can:
- share QuickBooks data between Macs and PC;
- convert data from Quicken to Quickbooks;
- export reports to Excel;
- email invoices, statements, estimates, and reports
- automate your backups
- customize your toolbar to your liking.

ram55
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Is this the canadian or american version?

Irie Guy
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Intuit's Quickbooks Accounts for MAC which is the only version the Intuit Canada currently markets for MAC users is a rebadged MYOB AccountEdge. I have been using this software daily since last February when it was released.
Quickbooks Accounts for MAC (http://www.intuit.com/canada/quickbooks/qb_acc_2003.shtml)

I swear I am probably one of the only people that I have ever heard of who actually uses this software. I like it, I have become very used to it. It is nothing like Quickbooks for Windows or the standard Quickbooks 5.0 and 6.0 for MAC which are modeled after the WIN versions. Support is well typical of Intuit support. You have to pay for it. I refuse to give Intuit any money because I know that they will no nothing about this product of theirs. The few times that I have run into certain questions I have visited the MYOB support boards for some help. This is also nothing like the Quickbooks NUE that comes preinstalled on current PowerMacs and PowerBooks. The NUE I believe is the same as Quickbooks 5.0. I don't know what the limitations of the NUE are. I borrowed the Install discs fora new G5 to see what it was all about but I'll stick to my MYOB Quickbooks version.

Please note that with Quickbooks 6.0 you cannot simply move your user data between MAC and WIN versions as you please as their is a conversion process involved. There is a board that you can ask more about Quickbooks for MAC. It is on the MacWorld forums. Keep in mind that it is very US centric with again very few people who seem to be able to answer any question thouroughly.
Macworld Quickbooks forum (http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=intuit)

(( p g ))
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:28 PM
To my knowledge there isn't a Canadian edition. They include on the CD and website all the extras you'll need (i.e., tax tables). Here's a cut and past from the Inuit FAQ:

Does QuickBooks: Pro 6.0 for Mac work for Canadian customers?

Yes. Current customers using QuickBooks Pro 4.0 for Mac or QuickBooks Pro 5.0 for Mac will be able to convert their data to QuickBooks: Pro 6.0 for Mac. Customers using QuickBooks 4.5 will need to create a new data file for use with QuickBooks: Pro 6.0 for Mac. New customers can use the New Company Setup to create a company file that supports Canadian GST/PST tax reporting.Intuit Canada now offers a special small business accounting solution. You can get more information*here.

Which QuickBooks product is included on the new Apple® PowerBook® and Power Mac® machines?

Currently, Apple machines include the QuickBooks New User Edition, a simplified version of the new QuickBooks: Pro for Mac.

What's the difference between QuickBooks New User Edition and QuickBooks: Pro 6.0 for Mac?

QuickBooks: Pro 6.0 for Mac offers small business owners additional functionality and added value. In addition to the features in the QuickBooks New User Edition, the new QuickBooks: Pro 6.0 for Mac also includes integration with Microsoft® Excel, the ability to automatically e-mail invoices and reports, automatic file backup, job costing, estimating, time tracking, Report Finder features, and the ability to convert data from Quicken for Mac.

Irie Guy
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:42 PM
Did you click my link above with regards to Quickbooks Accounts for MAC. That is the only Canadian Version of Quickbooks that Intuit Canada currently markets. That link will take you to the Intuit Canada product page. You cannot buy Quickbooks 6.0 for MAC through Intuit Canada. They do not officially support it.

You will not find Canadian Tax Tables for Quickbooks 6.0 on the Intuit Canada website. Please don't confuse this already confusing topic anymore. Yes Powerbooks and PowerMacs in Canada come bundled with Quickbooks NUE. This is simply because we receive the same preinstalled software bundle as those South of the border. And yes it will work for Canadians but it is not what Intuit Canada will sell you. Intuit Canada's website doesn't mention the NUE version of Quickbooks anywhere.

ehMax
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:56 PM
It IS EXTREMELY confusing!!!! I talked to both the Intuit and MYOB people at Macworld SF. What I basically got from them was that the Canadian version of QuickBooks, (Which is really the last updated version of MYOB in Canada) will NOT be updated. Where the heck does that leave us?

Maybe if they just made 1 version of Quickbooks in the US and Canada (Via preferences you'd specify where you are), that would be good? It almost sounds like that's what they might do with the new version of QuickBooks coming out that PGant tested.

Otherwise, how can Intuit Canada update the current Canadian Mac version? They can't really update the MYOB code themselves.

It's so wierd.

I asked the MYOB guy, why did Intuit buy them in Canada?!? Answer: MYOB was making too many strides in Canada, so Intuit bought them just to shut them down. They offered MYOB a glob of graemlins/greedy.gif that they couldn't refuse. MYOB can never enter the market in Canada again.

So friggin wierd.

Irie Guy
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:09 PM
Maybe if they just made 1 version of Quickbooks in the US and Canada (Via preferences you'd specify where you are), that would be good? It almost sounds like that's what they might do with the new version of QuickBooks coming out that PGant tested.
This is where the real problem lies in that Quickbooks 6.0 and the NUE version bundled with new machines has this feature. You cannot however buy Quickbooks 6.0 in Canada and currently you cannot get support from Intuit Canada if you bought it elsewhere.

ram55
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:37 PM
Wow very confusing. Do I take this as a no to my original question?

(( p g ))
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:12 AM
Well I received my complimentary copy as compensation for the beta test,so I can't give you advice as far as availability in Canada is concerned. Sorry to hear that there is so much confusion surrounding this product.