: iMac keeps losing my Network (ethernet) settings

trentcanuck
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:09 AM
Hi
I'm having a problem I've never experienced before. I'm using OS 10.1.5 with a cable modem (ethernet), and often when I "wake up" my computer and open Explorer, my home page won't connect.
I get the "trouble connecting to..." message. Then I go to System Preferences: Network, and it has switched its setting to "Internal Modem", which I don't use.
I have to select "Ethernet", and then everything is fine.

It doesn't do this every time, but often enough that it's a nuissance.

Any clues about this??

MacDoc
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:40 AM
My G5 was doing that a lot. Reparing permissions got rid of it but it would come back. Latest Panther fixed it.
Run your permissions repair if you are sticking with that version but Panther would be a treat for you. :cool:

MacDoc
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:41 AM
Panther without a doubt in the X series ( tho 9.2 is much quicker ).

Mac à Montréal
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:12 AM
1) Run software update from the system preferences and update your system to the latest version.

2) Restart

3) If its still happening, startup from your Mac OS X CD and run Disk Utility to repair permissions on your drive.

Hope this helps.

monokitty
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Panther is the best OS X operating system for your iMac. I'm running Panther v10.3.2 on my iMac DV 400, and it runs very well.

(( p g ))
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:46 AM
Did you say you're running 10.1? Some might disagree, but I considered that release to be (at best) a beta release. Plenty of performance issues and odd behaviour such as what you've described. You'd notice a big difference with Version 10.2 (and can be purchased for relatively little coin on ehMac or eBay). Panther is even smoother, but will cost you a bit more.

trentcanuck
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:23 PM
Hmmm...

The thing is, this has been happening from "day one".
I bought the computer used last week, and my first act was to format the hard drive and do a fresh install.

I did the system restore (OS 9), then installed my OS 10.0 disc, installed my OS 10.1 upgrade disc, then downloaded the 10.1.5 update. I was already online with Explorer (having just downloaded the OS), but when I tried to run the "Software Update". it told me I didn't have an internet connection --even though I was currently connected, and still had Internet Explorer open! When I opened up Network Preferences, it was set on "internal modem".
I don't understand what permissions are, and I really don't get how they could need repair immediately after a fresh install.

---Question about Panther, since you mentioned it: does it run well on a G3 600? I've been wondering what the "best" OS X is for this computer. Obviously Panther is the "best" version of OS X, but can you comment on which version is the optimal one for a G3 machine like my iMac??
Thanks.