: For Sale 2013 apple tv

Adrian.
Oct 11th, 2013, 11:51 AM
BOUGHT FOR $130 WITH TAX IN AUGUST.

Selling for $100 + shipping.

I don't think I have the box anymore.

I am selling because AirPlay does not work as I had hoped it would.

screature
Oct 11th, 2013, 02:05 PM
BOUGHT FOR $130 WITH TAX IN AUGUST.

Selling for $100 + shipping.

I don't think I have the box anymore.

I am selling because AirPlay does not work as I had hoped it would.

Just a question Adrian, how AirPlay not work like you hoped it would. In what way did it disappoint you?

Adrian.
Oct 11th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Just a question Adrian, how AirPlay not work like you hoped it would. In what way did it disappoint you?

It doesn't display videos very well. It works fine to mirror your computer screen, but video playback is choppy (especially with .mkv files. I did not intend to use it to purchase iTunes content.

Ants
Oct 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Adrian

Do not wish to derail the thread but dave you tried Beamer ? It can handle all file types and works very well. Allows you to send content on your Apple TV effortlessly - Beamer - The AirPlay Movie Player for Mac (http://beamer-app.com)

Oakbridge
Oct 12th, 2013, 09:49 AM
It doesn't display videos very well. It works fine to mirror your computer screen, but video playback is choppy (especially with .mkv files. I did not intend to use it to purchase iTunes content.
Hmmm is this a network issue? Have you tried using an Ethernet cable to connect your Apple TV to the network?

Oakbridge
Oct 12th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Btw, you might need to lower your price, Apple's selling them for $85 in the refurbished store.

HowEver
Oct 12th, 2013, 12:16 PM
How about a perma-ban of anyone who price polices? /Sorry for posting this here, but.. ^

Adrian.
Oct 12th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Btw, you might need to lower your price, Apple's selling them for $85 in the refurbished store.

The significant difference between mine and a refurbished unit is that mine isn't refurbished .
Yes, I've tried beamer, but it has serious issues .mkv files.

Good call on the ethernet cable. I'll try that and see how it goes.

bundy
Oct 19th, 2013, 07:31 PM
The significant difference between mine and a refurbished unit is that mine isn't refurbished .
Yes, I've tried beamer, but it has serious issues .mkv files.

Good call on the ethernet cable. I'll try that and see how it goes.

did the ethernet work? Im thinking about getting apple tv to stream my mkv files on the big screen as well...

screature
Oct 19th, 2013, 07:44 PM

Sorry Adrian I didn't notice your post until now. Thanks for the reply.

I don't have too many mkv files and the ones that I do have I can still play with my Mac Mini.

I used to think in terms of replacing my Mac Mini with an Apple TV as a HTPC and it always came up short. But now seeing as that the Apple TV is so cheap/inexpensive I am thinking more in terms of what I already have and just adding the Apple TV.

My main interest is how well Airplay works... specifically in terms of game play and streaming the game to my HDTV and using an iPad as the controller.

Did you have any difficulty with that?

Andrew Pratt
Oct 20th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Game play is much harder than streaming video as it can buffer video. As always a gigabit ethernet connection is really the optimal config to get the most out of these types of devices.

screature
Oct 20th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Game play is much harder than streaming video as it can buffer video. As always a gigabit ethernet connection is really the optimal config to get the most out of these types of devices.

I have gigabit ethernet, but what I am interested in is playing iPad games on my TV via AirPlay using the iPad as the controller as is advertised for the Apple TV on the Apple website.

Do you have any experience with this?

Also there is no gigabit connection for the iPad that I know of.. do you? If so please let me know.

Andrew Pratt
Oct 20th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I've played games mirrored from my iPad2 to the ATV and it works pretty well…though in fast paced games like car racing there is occasionally a lag.

Adrian.
Oct 30th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Hi Adrian

Do not wish to derail the thread but dave you tried Beamer ? It can handle all file types and works very well. Allows you to send content on your Apple TV effortlessly - Beamer - The AirPlay Movie Player for Mac (http://beamer-app.com)

Yes I have Beamer. It doesn't work so well with .mkv files. I am going to get a ethernet cable to go from my MBA to AppleTV and we'll see how that goes.