: 2008 blackbook keeps crashing...due to external hard drive?

blackbook
Sep 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
Ever since I hooked up an external hard drive, my system keeps crashing.

The first time I noticed it crashing was when I routed my iTunes library to the external hard drive and played iTunes from that. I have since put iTunes library back onto my Macbook hard drive and it's been fine.

It has recently crashed when transferring 25GB of music onto iTunes, uploading 4GB of MP4s from a CD onto my external hard drive, streaming BB6 and browsing the internet.

I'm using the G-Tech 500GB Slim Portable USB3.0 external hard drive and my system is:
OSX 10.6.8
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM

Any idea why it seems to be crashing ever since I've been using an external hard drive??

ChilBear
Sep 22nd, 2013, 04:55 PM
I would reapply the 10.6.8 combo update and run onyx as the first step IMO.

eMacMan
Sep 22nd, 2013, 11:10 PM
I would be suspicious of the cable connecting the external drive to the computer.

John Clay
Sep 23rd, 2013, 08:17 AM
I would reapply the 10.6.8 combo update and run onyx as the first step IMO.

Why?

Neither is going to fix an issue caused by an external drive.

John Clay
Sep 23rd, 2013, 08:20 AM
Ever since I hooked up an external hard drive, my system keeps crashing.

The first time I noticed it crashing was when I routed my iTunes library to the external hard drive and played iTunes from that. I have since put iTunes library back onto my Macbook hard drive and it's been fine.

It has recently crashed when transferring 25GB of music onto iTunes, uploading 4GB of MP4s from a CD onto my external hard drive, streaming BB6 and browsing the internet.

I'm using the G-Tech 500GB Slim Portable USB3.0 external hard drive and my system is:
OSX 10.6.8
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM

Any idea why it seems to be crashing ever since I've been using an external hard drive??

What happens when it crashes? Does the computer lock up, or can you still move the mouse around? I've seen some USB 3.0 drives that caused the computer to hang, but could be resolved by simply disconnecting the drive.

blackbook
Jan 16th, 2014, 12:37 PM
What happens when it crashes? Does the computer lock up, or can you still move the mouse around? I've seen some USB 3.0 drives that caused the computer to hang, but could be resolved by simply disconnecting the drive.

It restarts after crashing. It didn't start doing this until I plugged in an external hard drive and tried to do 3 tasks simultaneously (iTunes, rip a CD, use internet).

My guess is the external drive is taking up too much power.

John Clay
Jan 16th, 2014, 01:30 PM
It restarts after crashing. It didn't start doing this until I plugged in an external hard drive and tried to do 3 tasks simultaneously (iTunes, rip a CD, use internet).

My guess is the external drive is taking up too much power.

Does the whole system restart (i.e. do you hear the chime, see the Apple logo), or does it just kick you out to the login window?

blackbook
Jan 16th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Does the whole system restart (i.e. do you hear the chime, see the Apple logo), or does it just kick you out to the login window?

Yes, the entire system restarts as if I went to the Apple icon and chose Restart.