Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

restricted access

931 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Moscool 
#1 ·
Could anyone out there in macland tell me what they use or how they deal with internet content for their children. What can be done or used to allow acccess to certain pages? Any help would be appreciated.
Thx

#4 ·
The best way to ensure that the content your kids are gettting is for kids is to subscribe to the eKids Internet service or one of the others. This is a PIE.(Private Internet Engine). These are private servers, closed networks that require a CD to access.
All content is screened and approved for kids. There is no direct link to the Internet, but it feels like you are.

Do a search for eKids and you should get it.

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
I have a young cousin who comes over once in a while, so I was happy to see that we're getting free internet blocking software with .Mac. I tried it out, and thought I'd resurrect this old thread to report.

When trying to install the Norton Parental Control on Panther, free with .Mac, there was an error saying LiveUpdate was incomplete. I downloaded and installed the Java 1.4.2 update, reinstalled Norton and it's all okay.

It seems to work well and unobtrusively. You can turn it on and off and have separate options for every user account, all locked with administrator priviledges.

Create a user account that is only allowed to run certain programs, so they can't download and run filesharing programs or other browsers. I give the kids' account a blank password and use a non-blank one for myself.

Remember to explicitly block any UBB forums that allow adult or illegal content. You can explicitly allow or deny any site. You can run it in two modes: either block by default or allow by default.

#6 ·
Lo Tech solution:

keep the computer in the family room where everyone can see/walk by

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.