Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Disconnecting

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  csonni 
#1 ·
Has anyone had this message come up in Panther when disconnecting? "The modem has unexpectedly hungup. Pleas verify your settings and try again." This has been coming up quite frequently. No real problems, though.

#2 ·
HI,

This is an informational message.
You must set "Disconnect when closing session" or something like that in modem settings to avoid this.

#3 ·
This is perhaps the most absurd issue Mac owners have to deal with... the modems provided in Apple's desktops and laptops are pure crap.... this is the only time you'll hear me say this about any Apple technology, BTW.

Rarely do they connect at the speed they could/should, and the connections are very unreliable.

Our iMac G4 (800mhz/SuperDrive) frequently disconnects itself... but not really. It no longer provides useful communication with the ISP, and the "disconnecting... disconnecting... disconnecting..." message cycles on the menubar over and over. Once, just for the heck of it, I left it to see how long the timeout cycle was. 45 minutes later, I'd had enough and disconnected the phone cord.

We've tried different modem scripts, different telephone cords, line-conditioners, etc. with no luck. The connection issues were the same under OS 9, OS X (10.2, 10.2.4, 10.2.5, 10.2.6, 10.2.8, and now 10.3). The funny thing? My iBook, on the same line, performs significantly better.

Apple's discussion forum area is chock-full of modem problem reports... one wonders if the folks in Cupertino think that everyone outside California also has DSL... :(

M

#5 ·
Well speaking from the wilderness, well almost, we have a dialup connection that we maintain just in case. When I connect any of the Mac's to it, the most I can get is 31.2. When I hook the Linux machine up I'll get 42 - 44 that range.

We do have 'dirty' lines out here, really dirty actually, Bell is here like every month looking at the lines.

So not sure what you can make of that, but I do agree that the Mac modems seem a little more sensitive to noise on the line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.