: The search function.

johnp
Aug 13th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Have been trying to use the search function to find an 'older' thread .. all I get, whatever I type in, are blank, white pages as the response.
Is the search function not working?

pm-r
Aug 13th, 2013, 09:35 PM
They seem to be working here but are you using the basic or advanced search?

It seems to me that the basic search doesn't even work properly if and when it's actually supposedly working properly. Quite pathetic and it should be given a different name. Maybe "Guess" would be better.

winwintoo
Aug 13th, 2013, 10:57 PM
I have better luck using the google site search, like so:

Some interesting stuff site:ehmac.ca

pm-r
Aug 13th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I can never seem to get that method to work as others have suggested previously.

I guess I must be doing something wrong, but not so apparently when I checked the google help faq pages a while ago.

winwintoo
Aug 14th, 2013, 08:30 AM
I can never seem to get that method to work as others have suggested previously.

I guess I must be doing something wrong, but not so apparently when I checked the google help faq pages a while ago.

That's strange. I just searched for "TV" using the google site search and got several pages of results. The search on this police won't search if your search term is only two letters.

Here's what I used

tv site:ehmac.ca

black MacBook site:ehmac.ca

johnp
Aug 14th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I have better luck using the google site search, like so:

Some interesting stuff site:ehmac.ca
That worked .... thanks!! :)

johnp
Aug 14th, 2013, 09:00 AM
They seem to be working here but are you using the basic or advanced search?

It seems to me that the basic search doesn't even work properly if and when it's actually supposedly working properly. Quite pathetic and it should be given a different name. Maybe "Guess" would be better.
I couldn't get either to work, but was mostly trying the basic search.
That google method suggested sure worked though - I had never thought of trying something like that.

Macfury
Aug 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM
The internal search function has always been buggy and horrible. Google indexes EhMac within about an hour of new posts.

VSAdmin
Aug 14th, 2013, 01:09 PM
The search function on VB forums is terrible and not very accurate. I will look into getting a Google Search bar added to the forum. It functions much better then the VB search.

I'm glad that your issue is resolved. Thank you everyone that helped out : )

Cheers,
- dm, community support

pm-r
Aug 14th, 2013, 01:29 PM
The search function on VB forums is terrible and not very accurate. I will look into getting a Google Search bar added to the forum. It functions much better then the VB search.

I'm glad that your issue is resolved. Thank you everyone that helped out : )

Cheers,
- dm, community support

Oh man, if you can get a proper search setup and working I'll get a LARGE box of Timmy Timbits delivered to your place of work, wherever it is.

At least I would hope that you enjoy Timmy Timbits!! ;)