Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Screwed iMac

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  andrew_david_blair 
#1 ·
Ok after installing Panther last night my computer won't restart. Well it restarts but all that appears is the dock. Someone gave me a link to the Apple site that discussed somthing about a Quicktime update being the problem, but they also said that a window would pop up when you restarted your computer telling you the problem - mine doesn't have anything but the dock. I was also told to zap the PRAM. I did that for about 5 minutes and that also didn't work. To be straight with everyone I'm really desperate here...I need to get this computer running. Can someone please make it better!?

#5 ·
Very strange problem, sorry it happened.

To archive and install, you start up off the 10.3 CD, and begin the installation process. When you come to a screen that says Upgrade, you want to press the Customize button, and choose the Archive and Install option.

Before you do that, have you tried starting up the machine holding the shift key? And/or starting up holding Command and S and running fsck? (This is assuming that you upgraded the previous system.

#6 ·
What were you running and what iMac do you have?

If it is an older G3 iMac, we have seen problems loading OS X on without first doing a firmware upgrade.

If you were already running Jaguar, don't worry it should be fine.

To do an Archive and Install, boot from your CD. When you start the install, click Options. Pick Archive and Install. There is another option ther eto preserve network settings. If you do that, nothing should get wiped out. You will have to reinstall 3rd party drivers and setup your printers etc.

#7 ·
install and archive didn't work either...i'm gonna put my files on an external hard drive...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.