Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

is my mbp 2011 15" video card shot?

883 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jezzy 
#1 ·
So I picked up a cheapish kijiji used needing a new hd mbp early 15" 2.0 yesterday. Seller was told my apple that all it needed was a new hd.

This is what happens when I try to boot.

I'll see the apple logo, then the spinning wheel while loading.. Then when it seems to try to load the login screen, the screen turns a light blue and that's it. Stuck.

I've removed the hd, tried loading the original DVD, same. Installed a new ssd hd, same thing, pram and SMc reset, no change. A shame.. It's in good shape but I don't want to spend more on a new logic board.

I've read that the video cards seem to over heat? It's just odd that I've got perfect video for the apple logo and spinning wheel but it'll never go past that. These models do have a dual video card.. S I assume the desktop is switched to the other card?

Ideas?

#3 ·
nothing. I plugged in my imac and it would try to switch then return.

#4 ·
My 2007 MBP would not boot even boot from the original disks after I changed the HD. It would however recognize and boot from a recent SuperDuper backup.

Eventually, I figured out that the machine would no longer recognize the original old operating system. I had in the mean time upgraded it to Snow Leopard.

I then had no problem booting from the Snow Leopard disks and installing that OS onto the new HD.

Weird.

Maybe this helps you?

#5 ·
Very weird alright. Perhaps an Efi update caused it to be no longer compatible with the older os disks?

In any case, I sold it today on kijiji.. Didn't want to deal with replacing the logic board. Especially the cost of a repair or replacement one.

I'll keep looking. I often like buying fixer uppers,enjoy the challenge, but it can't cost more than a fully functional one in the end!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.