Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Some Installing for a bootable OS Leopard 10.5.8 hassles.

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  pm-r 
#1 ·
Well it all started when our old white 900MHz G3 iBook OS 10.4.x PATA HDD died, so in the interim I thought I'd install Leo 10.5.x on my mid/late-2007 MBPro which I had installed a 128GB SSD some six months ago.

Leo 10.5 is needed so that we can still use our old Mac serial AppleTalk only networked HP Laserjet 4ML, as 10.5 is the last OS X to support AppleTalk.

I used DU to create a new volume for 10.5 on the SSD, but it would only allow a 8GB partition, even though the drive had other available room. Strange.

Got Leo 10.5 installed on it, but the volume was too small to run the updaters to get to 10.5.8, and the print server didn't setup or work properly, and was painfully SLOOOOW when it did print - like over a minute to just spool a few lines of text!! Strange for a much faster 2.2GHz Mac and with an SSD installed.

So I thought I'd pickup a USB 2.5" SATA HDD enclosure and use the old MBPro's 160GB drive.

First mistake was to purchase an unknown brand from a local PC store, specifically and as a warning, a 'Velocity Elite Series' 2.5in Enclosure.

With a few hassles, I got Leo installed on it, and then wasted 2 1/2 days attempting to get the &^%$#& thing to even boot properly without getting the 'you must restart' message and sometimes with a kernel panic.

WTH***!!! In frustration, I pulled the HDD out of it and dropped it into my NewerTech Quad Dock, and it booted and ran fine with both FW and USB connections. Stupid Velocity Elite Series enclosure, and I even tried a new USB cable, apparently a known problem. :(

So the MBPro is running happily and all the print server networking is working, and fast. But just a wee bit bulky setup until I can get a proper known good brand working enclosure.

But hey, I've got a spare Kingston 16GB Metal-Cased USB Drive (DTSE9) GUID formatted I could use right as a Leo 10.5.8 Boot volume.

So I used CCC to clone the 2.5" HDD 10.5.8 to it, and it took just over an expected hour to complete, but it will not boot, and I've never had any cloning problems with CCC.

When checking the two volumes, the flash drive only has just under 7GB used, yet the HDD has just over 11GB. What gives??

And yes I run CCC several times, but no change.

I cannot find any CCC reference as to why CCC won't create a proper bootable clone.

So does anyone have a suggestion or know what's wrong or why?

See less See more
#2 ·
I used to use CCC and Superduper, but now I'm using Disk Utility to do all my cloning. I've used that to clone Snow Leopard boot drives.

Disk Utility is straightforward, and has never failed, but it's not very intuitive since you have to go to the "Restore" tab. Then you select the source drive and the destination drive. At that point it's just like CCC or Superduper.

#3 ·
Thanks Rob, and I've tried both DU and CCC again and according to the screen shot below, there's almost 5GB of data missing, no doubt some vital 'invisible' files and data missing.

I'm trying DU again, this time to create an image and will try DU's 'Restore' with it, and see if it works.

Strangely, DU image maker said the neither of the volumes to save it to had enough room, which was a big lie according to what the Finder said, so I had to use the 'compressed' option.

I'll see if it works when it's finished.

What a PITA and we're sure not in System 8 or 9 land where things just seemed to work as expected.

As the screen shot shows:

Attachments

#4 ·
The only other thing I can think of is that you might have different formatting on your original drive compared to your clone.

#5 ·
Another possibility is that the clone is trying to pull data from your network that's linked to your original drive. Do you have your Home folder on a network drive?

#6 ·
Nope to both Rob.

All formatting is GUID.

No networking except for 'Printer Sharing' setup on the working 'Velocity Leo10.5 HD' volume.

And I should/will remove the 'Velocity' name when I hopefully get things working as it was a useless time wasting piece of Mac non-bootable crap!!

I'm about to try DU 'Restore' for the newly created compressed image just created and completed a few minutes ago.

I'm a bit leery if it will work as the Finder says it's only 4GB in size. That's a lot of compression, or a lot of missing necessary invisibles once again.

Anyway, I'm persistant and a wee bit stubborn - like a dog with a bone I've been told by some Mac friends. ;)

#7 ·
Maybe try and run an app such as 'Disk Inventory X' on your drive, it might show a hidden file like a sleep image file which is usually the same size as your installed memory, (maybe 4GB)?
Cloning apps such as CCC do not copy this type of file over when cloning, which leaves you with a smaller cloned system.

#8 ·
Thanks jamesB, but for some strange reason, neither CCC nor DU image cloning has worked. And not sign of all necessary invisibles that both methods would normally include.

Maybe flash drives behave differently when receiving data and I've never encountered such a cloning hassle that I can recall.

So, I've gone back to the basics as I'm being driven to drink and smoke with these non-working hassles, and a new Leo 10.5 from the install DVD is getting close to completing with an install to the USB thumb drive. We shall see.

Then hopefully a Migration Assistant will work from the working 10.5.8 HDD.

Just in case not, I ordered a few recommended Mac enclosures on Saturday, for a whole $6.99 on sale!! Total Amount: $24.39 with taxes and delivery for two!! Much less than I paid for the single crappy non-bootable Velocity Elite Series 2.5in Enclosure!! ;) :(

Newegg.ca - Vantec NexStar TX 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive/SSD Enclosure - Model NST-210S2-BK

#9 ·
I've gone back to the basics as I'm being driven to drink and smoke with these non-working hassles, and a new Leo 10.5 from the install DVD is getting close to completing with an install to the USB thumb drive. We shall see.]
I hope you're not planning on booting OS X from a flash drive - it's horribly, horribly slow. (As an OS X Installer, it's fine, but not as a boot volume.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.