: Wanted To Buy Fair market value

ciaochiao
May 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Hi All:

This is slow and painful for me to type out as I'm using my daughter's iPad! Ive never used a virtual keypad and really dont like them too much. The other reason is that I'm wearing a mile high cervical collar having just had cervical spine surgery 6weeks ago. I've got another 6 weeks to go! At any rate, I need your opinions and expertise. I want to buy a couple of newer systems plus a newer iPad for my home and I'd like to keep the expenses under $1100. The systems can be as old as decent 2008-2009. The iPads can be ipad2 w or w/o the retina screen. How do I know what fair market value is? A while back someone referred me to a site that gives a baseline value to work with. Than someone tried to teach me how to get into ebay and observe the 'final days purchases for similar models.' I've forgotten how to do that as wel since I don't use eBay. Your kindness, understanding, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,

Ciaochiao

Paul82
May 11th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Mac2Sell - Argus, Evaluation, Guide to used Mac, iPad, iPhone & iPod - Occasion (http://www.mac2sell.net/)

Is generally pretty good for getting a ballpark figure... hard to really give much more advice without more info regarding what you are looking for (desktop or laptop, along with other specs)

ciaochiao
May 24th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Thanks so much Paul52.

I appreciate your direction and feedback. I'll get a clearer idea as to what I'm searching for as there are several things which will become better understood by me, over the next short while as I 'system hunt/search'. I'll use the site you've given me plus other resources-another of which I suspect may be knowledgeable people. I have a strong feeling you may be the first human resource I turn to, if you don't mind!

In fact, I have one such 'knowledge/opinion' based question now. I have two teens needing systems for school and a variety of other things but not streaming music or videos at any complex level. I'm a single mom with an extremely limited budget. I want to purchase two older but decent laptops for them. To date, they are using an early model non-unibody 2008 MBPS. It serves basic functions but is slow on the "go" search side. Bottom line: they don't need a gaming machine but do need to research their school topics a bit faster. One thing the both of them do due to our frugal cable tv pkg., both stream soccer games so CPU speeds must hit that, whatever that may be.

Thanks for your and anyone else's advice plus input.

Kind regards,
Ciaochiao

johnnydee
May 24th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Get a couple of new PC laptops and put Linux on them!

rgray
May 24th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Get a couple of new PC laptops and put Linux on them!

I think this is a great solution. It wouldn't hurt the kids to learn to use Linux/Unix. After all the underpinnings of OSX are Linux. The likely will run into Unix servers in postsecondary institutions. The best servers are Unix so in fact it would give them a leg up on possible job skills.

HowEver
May 24th, 2013, 10:31 AM
To determine fair market value, I usually look at past prices on ehMac, Craigslist/Kijiji listings, and actual completed/sold prices on eBay. I find Mac2Sell is always way off and useless with respect to what things actually sell for.

winwintoo
May 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Or get a couple of new PC laptops and leave whatever flavor of Windows they come with. Kids want what their friends have and their friends will have Windows. I looked at laptops in Walmart the other day and they had some around the $500 range. Back to school they'll have lots more and lower prices.

I love the virtual keyboard on my iPad, but I don't even try to "type" on it. I made myself a long stylus and use it to hit one key at a time. I can write almost as fast using this method as I can type on a regular keyboard.

Once you get the kids set up with laptops, save your pennies for the next iPad release in the fall. As iOS evolves, so do apps which means the best, most popular apps will not be available for older iPads running older iOS. If you have limited resourses, you want the best experience you can get. Rather than spend $300 on an older iPad now, save a bit more and in the fall get a new iPad Mini for $329. You will find the mini a lot easier to handle because of its smaller size and less weight.

Good luck, margaret

CubaMark
May 24th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Or get a couple of new PC laptops and leave whatever flavor of Windows they come with. Kids want what their friends have and their friends will have Windows.

I read those sentences and had a flashback to 1998.

WADR, it's more and more likely today that their friends will have a Mac.

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20080918/missouri_macs_540x369.jpg

winwintoo
May 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Cute. Mom could have her kids ask their friends. I could be wrong, but.........

Or whoever created that pic might be good at photoshop?

HowEver
May 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Nope. That was a real photo. Famous one, also.

Cute. Mom could have her kids ask their friends. I could be wrong, but.........

Or whoever created that pic might be good at photoshop?

Paddy
May 24th, 2013, 03:22 PM
That photo is definitely not Photoshopped. My older son, who is at Guelph says at least half the kids have Macs. He did his first year at Lakehead, and it was the same there. I was amazed when we toured the Lakehead campus - they were everywhere. HIs friends have brought their laptops over on many occasions, and guess what? All Macs, except for one.

ciaochiao, unfortunately you won't be able to get two Macs and an iPad for under $1100 in a vintage that would meet your needs. It's just unrealistic. It's pushing it for ONE laptop and an older iPad. From a quick look at Kijiji, you should be able to get a 2011 MBP for $800 or so, leaving you $300 for an iPad or towards another Mac.

My son has a 2008 MB (the last of the silver MBs before they turned them into MacBook Pros) and it still works pretty well - he streams movies with it all the time. Has your MB got enough RAM? And what is your internet speed like? Either of those could be causing problems and a new(er) laptop won't solve internet speed issues.