: Time Capsule/Time Machine

Khufu
Apr 19th, 2013, 08:09 PM
I come here to escape the morass of FAQs both Apple and Google offer. Yesterday I downloaded the new McAfee Security service from Bell Sympatico - which had not been available for Win8 PCs or ever for the Mac - and then found that my Time Capsule cannot be accessed. After uninstalling McAfee, I get two error messages when trying to access TC - in an attempt to connect I get "Operation can't be completed error code -6584," and then when trying to access backups I get "The backup image /Volumes/Data ******'s iMac.sparsebundle is already in use." Can anyone provide advice as to how I can get TC back on line?

ChilBear
Apr 19th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Is the backup on TM really "important" or not? I usually erase my TM backup and then it forces the "full" backup from my iMac.

Khufu
Apr 19th, 2013, 09:32 PM
You're right Chilbear. I've only had the TC since last December, so everything there is still on the iMac. How do I erase and rebackup? I can't access this external drive now.

ChilBear
Apr 19th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Use Disk Utilities and "erase" the TM backup drive when it is connected.

Khufu
Apr 20th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Ok, but that's part of the problem: I can't connect to the drive. That's when I get the error code -6584. I can access the Data on the TC through the Utilities function, but Disk Utilities reveals only the main drive and not the external TC drive. Should I just move the Data to Trash? I'm not confident with that.

Khufu
Apr 20th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I should add that when I double click on the "_____'s iMac.sparsebundle" line, the message "resource temporarily unavailable" or "already in use" pops up. In other words, I can't get access to erase it.

CubaMark
Sep 6th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Khufu - if you are connecting to the Time Capsule wirelessly, try it via ethernet.

Khufu
Sep 6th, 2013, 02:15 AM
Thanks CubaMark. Actually, I've had the ethernet cable connected to TC - which is then connected to the iMac - the whole time. It seems to be working now, but not for any of the previous good suggestions. It seems just a couple of reboots did it after I uninstalled McAfee. I must say, though, TC is difficult to get to and navigate.