: Wanted To Buy Wanted to buy

steadfast
Oct 24th, 2012, 02:11 PM
a floppy to USB reader.
Not many details because I do not know what to ask for:)

CanadaRAM
Oct 24th, 2012, 04:28 PM
USB2.0 External Floppy Drive We can order them new for $22 plus shipping and tax
It will be compliant with USB but no guarantees on compatibility with Mac OSX and Mac formatted floppies. OSX dropped floppy support somewhere along the line but I can't remember what version.
These USB drives will read the 1.4 MB DSHD disks.
For sure they will not be compatible with 400 K and single sided floppies. There is a big question mark about 800 KB DSDD disks, I would assume no until tested.

The issue is that these are generic with zero documentation. Sonnet, MacAlly and maybe LaCie used to make them (At $50 and up) but no more.

HowEver
Oct 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Given how many of these must be sitting unused in boxes and on shelves, etc., I'd hang on before ordering a new and sparkly one, especially since one doesn't know if it will work for the OP's purpose yet.

steadfast
Oct 25th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys, I find that they are $23 + taxes at a local computer store. But, also one of the responders to my query said something about needing to have 2 square holes on the disks but, did not say where those holes should be located. I'm going to post a reply to him on "anything Mac"

pm-r
Oct 25th, 2012, 09:24 PM
USB2.0 External Floppy Drive We can order them new for $22 plus shipping and tax
It will be compliant with USB but no guarantees on compatibility with Mac OSX and Mac formatted floppies. OSX dropped floppy support somewhere along the line but I can't remember what version.
These USB drives will read the 1.4 MB DSHD disks.
For sure they will not be compatible with 400 K and single sided floppies. There is a big question mark about 800 KB DSDD disks, I would assume no until tested.

The issue is that these are generic with zero documentation. Sonnet, MacAlly and maybe LaCie used to make them (At $50 and up) but no more.

I can confirm that using a USB2.0 External Floppy Drive with OS X can be a real PITA, and as mentioned, only HD 1.44MB floppies may work, and definitely not any of the smaller or single and even some old double sided floppies.

I used my USB2.0 External Floppy Drive with a persons iMac to mount some 1.44MB disks on their iMac running Lion 10.7.3 I believe a year or so ago and finally discovered that in order for the disk to even mount I had to insert a floppy disk into the drive before plugging the USB cable into the iMac so that the floppy would finally mount and become accessable.

As I said, a real time wasting frustrating PITA experience!!

For some more info, have a look and read at:
Working with Macintosh Floppy Disks in the New Millennium (http://siber-sonic.com/mac/newmillfloppy.html)

steadfast
Oct 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks folks but I have sovled the problem for now:)