: iPhone bluetooth and subaru...

wonderings
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I purchased a new Subaru Outback. One of the features is hands free calling via bluetooth.

I have the phone setup in the car, streams music perfectly, but the problems come with hands free calling. The car itself is terrible at recognizing my voice for a number, so I gave up on that and just programmed in the numbers I want into the phone. Now the issue is the call quality is terrible, crackly fuzz. Anyone Subaru owners here have bluetooth and their iPhone working well?

John Clay
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Crackly audio can be a result of poor signal - have you tried moving your phone around, possibly closer to the Bluetooth antenna (not sure where it is in an Outback)?

wonderings
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Crackly audio can be a result of poor signal - have you tried moving your phone around, possibly closer to the Bluetooth antenna (not sure where it is in an Outback)?

Not sure where the antenna is either in the car, but I would assume its somewhere close to the front where one would naturally put a phone. In the same position, it will stream music no problem, nice and clean, but for a phone call its crackly.

Thom
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I have the new style Outback (2010) and have no problems with either my older iPhone 3Gs or my new iPhone 5. Connected VIA Bluetooth (not the USB port). I programmed into the Subi about 8 of my most frequently called contacts/numbers and I just speak the person's name and it works perfectly. Have never ever had a hiccup. If I call a non-programmed number I just say "Dial" at the prompt then speak the number. In fact when I switched to the iPhone 5 the Subi still retained the original contacts/numbers and they work fine.

wonderings
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I have the new style Outback (2010) and have no problems with either my older iPhone 3Gs or my new iPhone 5. Connected VIA Bluetooth (not the USB port). I programmed into the Subi about 8 of my most frequently called contacts/numbers and I just speak the person's name and it works perfectly. Have never ever had a hiccup. If I call a non-programmed number I just say "Dial" at the prompt then speak the number. In fact when I switched to the iPhone 5 the Subi still retained the original contacts/numbers and they work fine.

Must just hate my voice then, it either says "pardon" or will cut me off with "pardon" again before I can even say the number, or it will add numbers to what I have said, or even a pound sign. Its been very frustrating. I am manually adding to the car phone book, and giving names, that works, but again the car call quality is terrible. I might just bring it in and see what they say, maybe something is wrong with it.

Thom
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Make sure your windows are up and sunroof closed. I usually have my phone sitting in one of the cup holders or in my shirt pocket. Call quality is very clear. Anytime it has been poor has been from the person calling me. And that has happened only twice in the last two years.

Maybe try it with someone else's iPhone. If the problem goes away, it is your phone. If it stays then get into your Subi dealer and complain.

wonderings
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I was playing with it in my drive way, so the car was not moving, all windows up, etc. I usually set the phone under the cd player, or in the arm rest plugged into the usb to charge.

Will have to see if I can get my hands on another iPhone to try out, but I think I will just swing in to Subaru and see what they say

wonderings
Oct 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Make sure your windows are up and sunroof closed. I usually have my phone sitting in one of the cup holders or in my shirt pocket. Call quality is very clear. Anytime it has been poor has been from the person calling me. And that has happened only twice in the last two years.

Maybe try it with someone else's iPhone. If the problem goes away, it is your phone. If it stays then get into your Subi dealer and complain.

I was out for lunch, so was playing around with the phone. The sound quality cleared right up once I moved it away from under the radio/cd player. Putting it in the cup holder, or the arm rest made the calls clear. Must be some sort of interference being that close to the radio/cd player. Still have major issues with the voice, but I can get around that I guess.

Thom
Oct 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM
If your phone was under the CD/radio when you programmed in those contacts & numbers, there may be interference in the recorded files and it is having trouble recognizing your voice over the interference. If it were me I would delete all the programmed contacts/numbers and add one or two new ones with the phone in the console or coffee cup holder and see how that works.

wonderings
Oct 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
If your phone was under the CD/radio when you programmed in those contacts & numbers, there may be interference in the recorded files and it is having trouble recognizing your voice over the interference. If it were me I would delete all the programmed contacts/numbers and add one or two new ones with the phone in the console or coffee cup holder and see how that works.

I might just erase everything and go from scratch. Going to try the dial features to when the phone is not sitting under the radio. Would be great if it was as simple as that!