: Jamster nightmare

MacUnited
Oct 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
a non-apple related story, although it happened on my iPhone4, using Bell mobility.. a couple of months ago, I was using an app on my iphone, and in the bottom they had a banner add for some free ringtones and that sort of non-sense that nobody actually uses. below that banner was the app's control bottons.. so on my way to press on one of those, I clicked on the add. which immediately took me their website, I closed the website and returned back to my app.. no harm no foul.. right? WRONG!!
next month as I was looking at bell mobility bill, I see an extra charge of 11 dollars under events. and surprise surprise it's from jamster!! I call bell and demand that they cancel this charge and stop any unauthorized charges on my account, to which they agreed on, they asked me to txt STOP to a particular number and that should take care of that, I get a txt back confirming I was unsubscribed from a service I never subscribed to but anyway,I got my money back and this shouldn't happen again, right? WRONG!
I'm looking at this months bill and the 11 dollars from jamster show up again, I call bell and now they say I have to call jamster to stop the service!!
anybody had/have a similar issue?
is bell or any other carrier for that matter allowed to add 3rd party charges without proper confirmation from the client that they actually did subscribe to this service??
and most importantly, how did they manage to get my phone number and information just by clicking on an add? would that be considered some sort of an iOS malware??

Tech Elementz
Oct 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Seems like the developer should be looking at the ads that are being provided in the app. Also, this seems to be very odd behavior. Did you happen to remember what the webpage displayed in the Safari window? It could have displayed something which you were not aware of before closing the window.

I sure hope this kind of issue is already been fixed or looked over by the iAd department from Apple, with carriers or the developer team of the specific app. Certainly a bad story. This is probably a good reason to buy apps instead of getting the free ones with ads! ;)

simon
Oct 7th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I had something similar happen to me but I was on Rogers at the time. Rogers said I had to call the offending third party and text STOP and that would it. They did refund the charges as a gesture of good will. I did however ask that any third party charges being changed to my phone be denied or refused and Rogers was able to put a block on my account.

MacUnited
Oct 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
This is what really gets me!! Why does bell or Rogers or whoever, allow 3rd party charges without sufficient evidence of customer agreement? I ask bell and they wouldn't answer!! I requested a block on my account and they said they can't do that!
I haven't felt so vulnerable before! Jamster won't stop charging and bell won't stop that! They just don't care!!

jhuynh
Oct 8th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Complain to the ccts. They are supposed to have a double opt in according to txt.ca here #8 and 9 txt.ca - Consumer FAQ's (http://txt.ca/english/consumer/faq.html).

Ccts can be contact info is in FAQ 6 on that page.
If jamster really isn't following the rules they should be fined by the ccts.

MacUnited
Oct 8th, 2012, 08:05 AM
That's great! I'm keeping an eye on my bill now and if another charge shows up, I'm contacting the the ccts..

pm-r
Oct 9th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Checkout these:

Jamster Scam - Home (http://www.jamsterscam.com/)

and

How to unsubscribe from Jamster.ca - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsG3Deo602Y)