: Current location using wifi

DDKD726
Oct 4th, 2012, 07:53 PM
So I moved last week to the opposite end of Toronto, but when I'm connected to my wifi at the new apartment my iPhone still goes back to my old address when it's finding my location. This only happens when I'm using wifi at home. What's up with that?

jhuynh
Oct 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
It's because Apple's location database hasn't updated the location if your router yet(understandable since you just moved). Do you see multiple wifi hotspots in your apartment? There isn't a direct way to update Apple's database like you could with skyhook before. I would suggest if you can get a GPS lock, try staying connected on maps until you get a GPS lock and hopefully that will update the location database with the new location of your router.

DDKD726
Oct 4th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Maybe I just need to do a reset on the router?

jhuynh
Oct 5th, 2012, 06:54 AM
It really has nothing to do with your router. It's the database Apple is using to locate your router. They used to use skyhook until iOS5 when they started using their own database. You could try updating skyhook but I doubt that will update the Apple data Skyhook: How It Works > Submit Wi-Fi AP (http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php) . It might take a few weeks before the information gets updated on Apple's side, as I couldn't find any information on how to update after they switched away from using skyhook wireless for their database.

ldphoto
Oct 5th, 2012, 10:38 AM
It's a pretty neat concept. Apple keeps a database of all SSIDs that can be seen from a certain location. I'm assuming that any iOS device that has GPS and WiFi takes a sampling of what SSIDs are around and sends it to Apple. If you move a SSID, the database will still associate to the old location for a while.

If you want to remedy that, you can chande the name (SSID) of your network. If it's the only network that can be seen in the area, you may get no location for a while, but that's better than getting something wrong I guess.