: Unlocked iPhone 5 wait times...

scandy
Oct 2nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Has anyone else seen any movement as to the availability times on their unlocked phone order? Mine has said 3-4 weeks since I placed the order on September 21st.

scandy
Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Additionally, any word on if the apple stores are selling the unlocked phones yet, or if we have to wait for these?

tilt
Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Apple stores are selling the unlocked phones. The one in Burlington ON said they will get more stock on Monday.

Cheers

jhuynh
Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:41 PM
Apple stores are selling the unlocked phones. The one in Burlington ON said they will get more stock on Monday.

Cheers

Are you sure about this? I know they will sell the phone unsubsidized but I've only been told no when asking for an unlocked phone at the apple stores.

scandy
Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:56 PM
I've only called the local stores here and they keep saying no as well...

What is unsubsidized anyway? Still locked to the carrier?

Joker Eh
Oct 4th, 2012, 12:04 AM

Cheers

Nope.

jhuynh
Oct 4th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I've only called the local stores here and they keep saying no as well...

What is unsubsidized anyway? Still locked to the carrier?

Yep. It makes no sense to buy an unsubsidized phone because it is still locked. You might as well pay the same price for the unlocked one on apple.ca unless you are very impatient.

FYI to the OP, I ordered on the 16th(after I found out that the stores won't sell unlocked phones) and it still hasn't shipped for me yet... You won't see any update to your status until they actually ship it so you might as well just stop checking... The best indicator is when you see the charge on your credit card.

scandy
Oct 4th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Fair enough. I'll just have to wait till the end of the month. Gives me time to pick out a good case I guess.

jhuynh
Oct 4th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Fair enough. I'll just have to wait till the end of the month. Gives me time to pick out a good case I guess.

Yeah it kinda sucks since there were some reports of people getting their shipments earlier. To me it seems like production has either been diverted for the launches in other countries that happened recently or they just aren't making them fast enough or most likely a combination of both.

Shattle
Oct 4th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Ordered early morning September 21st, and it just came to my place yesterday. Waiting period is increased for now guys, be patient. And no, local Apple stores are not selling factory unlocked phones till November. Same situation as in states.

ldphoto
Oct 4th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I was at the Bayshore Apple Store today to exchange a faulty Thunderbolt cable. There was a sign out front saying that unlocked phones need to be ordered online.

tilt
Oct 4th, 2012, 08:04 PM

Cheers

Are you sure about this? I know they will sell the phone unsubsidized but I've only been told no when asking for an unlocked phone at the apple stores.

Oh, sorry, I am not sure. I just assumed that any phone bought from Apple directly is unlocked. Therefore I did not even bother to ask the guy if the phone was unlocked! My apologies.

Cheers

_wb_
Oct 4th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Oh, sorry, I am not sure. I just assumed that any phone bought from Apple directly is unlocked. Therefore I did not even bother to ask the guy if the phone was unlocked! My apologies.

Cheers

They are not selling unlocked iPhone 5 at the Apple Stores, only online. "When you purchase your iPhone from the Apple Online Store, youíll get it unlocked. " - Apple Online Store

jhuynh
Oct 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM
FYI, from the Apple discussion forums they are still working on orders from the 14th... Someone JUST had theirs shipped and they ordered on the 14th at 6pm.

scandy
Oct 5th, 2012, 11:31 AM
FYI, from the Apple discussion forums they are still working on orders from the 14th... Someone JUST had theirs shipped and they ordered on the 14th at 6pm.

Well that's not very good news!

Joker Eh
Oct 5th, 2012, 03:25 PM
They are not selling unlocked iPhone 5 at the Apple Stores, only online. "When you purchase your iPhone from the Apple Online Store, youíll get it unlocked. " - Apple Online Store

Also note that it is only for GSM carriers.

About the unlocked iPhone.

The unlocked iPhone includes all the features of iPhone but without a contract commitment. You can activate and use it on the supported GSM wireless network of your choice. The unlocked iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 will not work with CDMA-based carriers. An unlocked iPhone 5 may not support LTE networks in all other countries; contact service providers for details.

If you donít want a multiyear service contract or if you prefer to use a local carrier when traveling abroad, the unlocked iPhone is the best choice. It arrives without a SIM card, so youíll need an active SIM card from any supported GSM carrier worldwide. To start using it, simply insert the SIM card into the slot on your iPhone and turn it on by pressing and holding the On/Off button for a few seconds. Then follow the onscreen instructions to set up your iPhone.

loofmac
Oct 6th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Hey

first of all thank you for starting this thread I was wondering the exact same thing. I ordered mine on the 19th of September and the status still shows as processing. I guess for now we have to play the waiting game.

chimo
Oct 6th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I ordered mine (64GB Black) the evening of 15 Sep.

Status had shown "Processing" with a delivery date range 11-17 Oct until today when it changed to "Preparing for Shipment" and the same delivery dates.

jhuynh
Oct 6th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Mine just changed to preparing for shipment also today. I ordered The 64gb black on the 16 in the morning.

loofmac
Oct 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I wonder how long until they start preparing for shipment the orders received on the 19th.

jhuynh
Oct 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I was hoping it would deliver by this Friday but it's scheduled to come on Monday. Looks like they either got way less orders on day 2 and 3 of the pre-orders or they have been able to ramp up production nicely. I wouldn't be surprised if they started preparing for shipment for orders from the 19th in the next few days.

loofmac
Oct 9th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Hey congrats !!! Thanks for the updates. I hope you get to enjoy your phone soon. Can't wait for the status to change. I'll definetly give you guys some updates once I have any news.

loofmac
Oct 11th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, a little update I ordered on the 19th at night and my status just changed to preparing for shipment

wonderings
Oct 11th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Ordered mine yesterday, 3 to 4 week wait according to the website. Not sure how accurate it will be.

loofmac
Oct 11th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Ordered mine yesterday, 3 to 4 week wait according to the website. Not sure how accurate it will be.

My status went from processing to preparing for shipment in 3 weeks and 1 day.

jhuynh
Oct 13th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Does the following tracking info make any sense to anyone? Lol. It's still on schedule to arrive Monday apparently but seems to have magically teleported back to Louisville.

Louisville, KY, United States 10/13/2012 4:30 Departure Scan
Buffalo, NY, United States 10/13/2012 2:38 Arrival Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 10/12/2012 15:20 Departure Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 10/11/2012 1:01 Arrival Scan

killer007
Oct 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
why waiting time is so long?

i ordered on Oct 8, so will i be able to get it by the end of oct?

Rickyscv
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I haven't ordered yet...I guess I'm hoping once they get everyone on the assembly line working towards higher quality and maybe change the anodizing process to make the phones more durable, then I'll order and get a real great phone. Yes, I know that I could wait forever but I just want to spend my hard earned and in short supply money on something that 'just works' as advertised!

scandy
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Supply and demand... and at this rate, you'll probably get it in November sometime. I've ordered on Sept 21, and it still says processing, with expected delivery of Oct 24-30.

killer007
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:46 PM
oh my @[email protected]
that is way too long hahahahha

loofmac
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Does the following tracking info make any sense to anyone? Lol. It's still on schedule to arrive Monday apparently but seems to have magically teleported back to Louisville.

Louisville, KY, United States 10/13/2012 4:30 Departure Scan
Buffalo, NY, United States 10/13/2012 2:38 Arrival Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 10/12/2012 15:20 Departure Scan
Louisville, KY, United States 10/11/2012 1:01 Arrival Scan

I think that the 4:30 Louisville departure scan is supposed to read:
Buffalo, NY, United States 10/13/2012 4:30 Departure Scan

Either that or we have the first case of schrodinger's iPhone.

jhuynh
Oct 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Finally delivered(to someone at home)! Don't get me started on UPS as it was supposed to arrive yesterday... lol.

loofmac
Oct 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Congrats man!!!

Edit : I received the adapter today but that shipped from Concord Ontario

The phone is still in Louisville KY

chimo
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Just got my unlocked Black 64GB iPhone 5 today.

scandy
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Mine has finally changed to "preparing for shipment" !

loofmac
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Congrtats to all of you and to scandy the OP of this thread.

scandy
Oct 17th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Looks like mine is coming from ZhengZhou, China. Is that where the original orders came from?

loofmac
Oct 17th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Looks like mine is coming from ZhengZhou, China. Is that where the original orders came from?

I think so mine came from there as well

jhuynh
Oct 17th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Yup, the iPhone factory is there, pretty much all orders ship directly from China for Apple.

scandy
Oct 17th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Ok I didn't know if the original orders came from there too or if it was just the backlog that came straight from China.

scandy
Oct 19th, 2012, 02:52 PM
This sure looks like the quickest way to Edmonton now doesn't it? ;)

loofmac
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Just received my iPhone 5 64 GB black today. I missed the delivery yesterday.

scandy
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Nice.

My UPS tracking page says:

Louisville, KY, United States 10/19/2012 7:00 The package was left in a UPS facility / Upgrade to Saturday delivery

I wonder if that means tomorrow, or next saturday? Delivery was originally scheduled for the 25th, next Thursday.

loofmac
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks man. Wow that's a first. I never read that description. Btw when it comes to UPS routes for delivery who knows how they figure it out.

scandy
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah they've always been junk in the past so I'm not surprised with that flightpath...

How do you like your 5 so far?

loofmac
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Didn't unbox it yet, my gf wants us to unbox them together. Have to go Rogers and get a sim.

_wb_
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:18 PM
My status has been updated and has been shipped...now in ZhengZhou...can't wait. Scheduled delivery for the 26th I hope they take the direct flight this time around. :)

scandy
Oct 19th, 2012, 03:21 PM
We can only hope! haha

jhuynh
Oct 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM
This sure looks like the quickest way to Edmonton now doesn't it? ;)

I think the way UPS handles the packages(since they are all imported together) they all get sent to the main sorting facility in Louisville to be imported and redeployed to the regional sort facilities.

scandy
Oct 19th, 2012, 05:52 PM
That makes sense. Sucks, but makes sense haha

John Clay
Oct 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah they've always been junk in the past so I'm not surprised with that flightpath...

How do you like your 5 so far?

It's hardly junk - it's more efficient to fly to a central hub, then branch out from there, then it is to fly directly to the destination.

scandy
Oct 19th, 2012, 11:41 PM
It's hardly junk - it's more efficient to fly to a central hub, then branch out from there, then it is to fly directly to the destination.

Sorry I wasn't saying that the central sorting was junk, more the service that I've received from UPS in general has been junk.

scandy
Oct 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM
ZhengZhou, China -> Incheon, Korea -> Anchorage, AK ->Louisville, KY -> Seattle, WA -> Richmond, BC

Progress I guess!

loofmac
Oct 21st, 2012, 07:51 PM
Hope u get it soon. I was impatiently always checking the site to see where it was.

_wb_
Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
My pkg is at Mount Hope, ON, CA now. Maybe I will get it sooner that the scheduled delivery date of Friday.

scandy
Oct 24th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Finally got mine yesterday and it's GLORIOUS!

_wb_
Oct 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I received mine yesterday and it is fantastic! WOW

phphreak
Oct 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM
It's basically a taller iPhone 4, isn't it?

killer007
Oct 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Not quite...
Better camera and with LTE hahhahaha
Also screen resolution is better...

dona83
Oct 25th, 2012, 07:06 PM
iPhone 5 is just a taller iPhone 4, the iPhone 4S is just an iPhone 4, iPad Mini is just a bigger iPhone, iPad is just a really big iPhone...

The things we hear everyday...

scandy
Oct 26th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Yeah I wouldn't compare it to a taller iphone 4 at all. It's way faster, thinner, lighter, taller screen, siri, etc.

wonderings
Oct 30th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Finally shipped, should have it by monday as it does its round the world trip from China.

scandy
Oct 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Finally shipped, should have it by monday as it does its round the world trip from China.

Gonna map it? haha

champcar
Oct 31st, 2012, 12:44 AM
Gonna map it? haha

China-Korea-Anchorage-Louiville-Mt Hope-Concord

Out for delivery

UPS Flight 61

wonderings
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:26 AM
Gonna map it? haha

Hope its taking pictures along the way. Its in Korea at the moment enjoying all the sights and culture I am sure

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/wonderings/ScreenShot2012-10-31at82351AM.png

wonderings
Nov 2nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
UPS is TERRIBLE. Following the tracking of my iPhone 5. It says its in Kitchener and it just sits there. Then guess what?! It shows up at work 3 days early and it STILL says it just arrived in Kitchener . Common UPS, this is very unprofessional :) As you can tell, I am obviously disappointed in UPS's service and there is no sarcasm here at all.

_wb_
Nov 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=wonderings;1229244]Then guess what?! It shows up at work 3 days early and it STILL says it just arrived in Kitchener .

Well, enjoy your phone!

Gmac67
Nov 6th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I got tired of seeing the long wait times and headed into a nearby apple store, bought one locked to rogers at full price, and then I call rogers and for 50.00 they will apply the factory unlock to it online! Cost me a bit more but I have it now. No waiting...in the meantime I now have to go through the process of selling my unlocked 4 and all the idiot low-balling that goes with it.

killer007
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:04 PM
so, many ppl here ordered an unlock iphone 5 from apple.ca?

i am reading in RFD that this unlock iphone 5 will get locked after you bring the phone to rogers to activate?

is that true?

or i can still change sim card and carriers after i activated it with ex like virgin mobilie?

Gmac67
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:17 PM
if you bought it at full price unlocked from Apple.ca you are fine, and in fact just go into an apple store and they'll likely give you a sim card free! unlike rogers who wants 10-15 bucks!
Crazy...as far as the phones go, factory unlocked is unlocked and you simply insert and use whatever sim you wish, provided you have service with them. I used my 4 all over the world, and now will do the same with my new 5. The 4 is for sale if you know anyone.

lightbulb
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Unlocked from Apple stays unlocked, regardless of carrier use; no fear of ever being locked.so, many ppl here ordered an unlock iphone 5 from apple.ca?

i am reading in RFD that this unlock iphone 5 will get locked after you bring the phone to rogers to activate?

is that true?

or i can still change sim card and carriers after i activated it with ex like virgin mobilie?

killer007
Nov 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM
but even if i get the free nano sim from apple store, i still need to go to virgin mobile to activate it right?
i can't do it myself i think

does apple store do the activation too?

jspence444
Nov 10th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Another problem with getting a locked iPhone and then unlocking it via the carrier: if you take it in to Apple to be fixed/replaced, the replacement isn't going to be unlocked and you will have to go through the unlocking process again through your carrier.

Gmac67
Nov 14th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I think they would activate your sim right there at apple and if not you should be able to do it via iTunes at home.
As for the unlocking, if you had an issue with the phone that meant replacing it I don't think you would be charged a second time when it was beyond your control. At the end of the day I have my iphone5, it cost a bit to unlock but I'm not in the masses still waiting 3-4 weeks!! Btw my apple unlocked 4 is for sale!

jspence444
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:15 PM
but even if i get the free nano sim from apple store, i still need to go to virgin mobile to activate it right?
i can't do it myself i think

does apple store do the activation too?

Hey dude,
To answer your question: you can activate new SIM cards yourself via the Virgin Mobile website!