: ATV 3 no longer sees remote?

wonderings
Oct 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
I did an update to ATV 3 yesterday, things worked fine after that. Today at lunch, went home and was going to use netflix, except my apple remote would not work, yet it would flash on the ATV 3 that it was picking up a signal. I could even restart with the remote, but nothing else.

I tried another remote I have, that I use with an upstairs iMac, which works on the iMac, and again would flash the light on the ATV, and could restart but could not move around the menu.

Thirdly I tried using my iPhone as a remote, with again, no response on the actual ATV. I restarted a few times, even pulled the power plug from it and restarted it that way, with no results.

Anyone have an idea to whats going on here? Anyway to restore to factory settings without a controller?

steviewhy
Oct 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
sudo rm -rf /

i-rui
Oct 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
maybe the ATV somehow thinks it's paired with a different remote? Have you tried re-pairing it with one of your remotes?

wonderings
Oct 2nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
maybe the ATV somehow thinks it's paired with a different remote? Have you tried re-pairing it with one of your remotes?

I cant re-pair it as I cant access anything in the menus.

I will try the micro usb and see if I can fix it that way. Very frustrating when you go from working perfectly to completely unusable.

wonderings
Oct 2nd, 2012, 07:48 PM
It seems like my ATV 3 is really buggered. It does not show up in iTunes at all. I had a micro usb cable from my mophie batter case, its been connected for 30+ minutes and nothing comes up in iTunes (latest update)

**edit**

Just tried a different usb port and it works now. Hopefully the restore fixes it.

i-rui
Oct 2nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
I cant re-pair it as I cant access anything in the menus.

you don't necessarily have to access the menus to unpair/pair a remote. hopefuly the restore will get it up & running, but just incase :

To pair your Apple TV with a remote

Or, you can press and hold the Menu and Next/Fast-forward buttons on the white Apple Remote, or hold the Menu and right buttons on the aluminum Apple Remote, for 6 seconds to pair.

To unpair your Apple TV from a remote

Press and hold the Menu and Previous/Rewind buttons on a white Apple Remote for 6 seconds, or the Menu and Left buttons on an aluminum Apple Remote for 6 seconds.