: Will switching from BB to iPhone 5 give me better reception?

uPhone
Sep 23rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
Okay, is it just me or has Rogers' network literally gotten WORSE?

I have a BlackBerry Bold 9900. I swear, sitting having a conversation on BBM, over the course of 10 minutes, I will experience rolling transitions (at random) between the following networks:

- X
- SOS
- gsm
- GSM
- gprs
- GPRS
- edge
- EDGE
- H+
- H+ (w/ BlackBerry BIS)

This is SO frustrating, I absolutely HATE it and I am starting to HATE Rogers. 99% of my calls are dropped, without question. 50% of the calls I make don't even ring because I don't have good enough service. I'm about an hour north of Toronto but still, according to Rogers, H+ is ALL OVER my area.

I'm just wondering, will I experience any sort of better service if I switch to the iPhone 5?

LTE is not available in my area (thanks Rogers! Convenient how it's available on Bell).

I'm just wondering if the micro sim, or perhaps some sort of innovation within the iPhone's internals, will make my experience with Rogers a little less hair-pulling/eye-ripping-out?

To put this into perspective, my BlackBerry has dents on it from me throwing it at the wall for having no service, lol.

I want to switch to Bell but I'm on my dad's account, which has a 25 year tenure and is in Tier 5 - he doesn't want to switch :ptptptptp

SO BASICALLY: is the iPhone's antenna, or whatever, better than BlackBerry?

ldphoto
Sep 23rd, 2012, 11:22 PM
From personal experience, BlackBerries have the best radio receivers all all cellphones. Usually, when nothing else works, a BB will. I've never tried a 9900 though, perhaps RIM didn't do so well with that one. (granted, that's the only part of a BB that will beat other smartphones). I doubt an iPhone would do better than a BB reception-wise.

Generally speaking, I've found the Rogers network hasn't kept up with the Bell/Telus network, especially in rural areas. Rogers still relies a fair amount on the GSM/EDGE network in outside of metro areas. Bell/Telus don't have such a network to fall back on, so they make pretty darn sure their 3G network is up to snuff throughout the country.

Joker Eh
Sep 24th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I think it is just your location and nothing to do with the phone. What type of cell phone does your dad have? Does his do the same thing? If your in a rural area blocked by trees the signal maybe low and nothing to do about hardware.