: Apple Maps in Canada

slipstream
Sep 20th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Definitely saw a lot more points of interest in our small city with Google Maps, but I guess Apple Maps POIs will grow with time as people get into Yelp. The aerial photos are several years old and do not show major new buildings downtown. Google Maps had more current satellite views. But the app works well enough. I use Navigon for driving anyway, and that won't change for now.

wcg
Sep 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I suspect that Google will have a maps app soon enough (have they announced one?) So far, I'm impressed with the app although you're right, it's missing details Google had. The satellite view of our house is in the winter and our neighbours a few houses down are in summer time :)

dona83
Sep 20th, 2012, 11:55 AM
It's a few steps forward, a few steps back. The road data in Vancouver area is out of date by about a year and a half.

macintosh doctor
Sep 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I will still be using my tom tom app.. as it is easier to input address and selection of what roads to take or not .. Plus TOM TOM shows, time to arrival, and kilometres per hour and distance remaining.

Irish Minister Concerned That The Crumminess Of iOS 6 Maps Will Result In Planes Crashing In Dublin | Cult of Mac (http://www.cultofmac.com/191793/irish-minister-concerned-that-the-crumminess-of-ios-6-maps-will-result-in-planes-crashing-in-dublin/)

Andrew Pratt
Sep 20th, 2012, 12:03 PM
It is in many ways a step back with regard to the data being used...but the under lying tech is very very good and provides Apple with a foundation to build on for years to come. Right now it isn't nearly as good as it will become which is frustrating and I can see people installing the eventual Google Maps app instead but there's a lot of potential.

As an aside as a geographer it is very interesting to see mapping becoming ingrained in society and the inroads we are making in the business world bringing a spatial context to business decisions.

Seagull21
Sep 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't say the satelite maps are several years old, but they're over a year anyway. Just looking in downtown Toronto - the PWC building already casts a shadow, but the base of the CN tower isn't torn up yet.

MacUnited
Sep 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
my dependency on the maps app is very limited, but I gotta say that I haven't noticed any drop in the accuracy of the information, I'd even say that google maps screwed me over a few times in the past year when I was searching for stores around me, last I remember was searching for a zeller to pile up from their liquidation sale, google maps sent me to a non existing store lol..

bimmerboii
Sep 20th, 2012, 01:09 PM
iOS maps are lacking businesses here in Vancouver, compared to my google device. I believe in time things will get better! Maps is something i use a lot when traveling, cant wait for Apple to get things sorted.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

polywog
Sep 20th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I will still be using my tom tom app.. as it is easier to input address and selection of what roads to take or not .. Plus TOM TOM shows, time to arrival, and kilometres per hour and distance remaining.

I'd be curious to compare the accuracy of the Tom Tom maps vs. the iOS 6 Maps. Tom Tom was the provider as far as I know.

HowEver
Sep 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I wonder how good Google maps were the first week that they went public...

wilecoyote
Sep 20th, 2012, 03:45 PM

About 100x better than anything that people were used to using the day before. :)

John Clay
Sep 20th, 2012, 04:37 PM

They were probably in beta for a few years.

Benito
Sep 20th, 2012, 08:17 PM
They were probably in beta for a few years.

I agree, it takes a while to get good map data, I'm sure this will improve with time and use.

chas_m
Sep 20th, 2012, 08:22 PM
HowEver's point is well taken. I have run into inaccuracies in Google Maps PLENTY of times. Nothing that drive me into a lake or anything, but LOTS of turns that weren't where they said it was, misjudged distances, and to put it mildly optimistic drive times. Nothing's perfect.

Apple Maps is at 1.0. Checking a few familiar routes, I'm not seeing any huge issues but I'm sure there are problems around, the lack of transit options here on VI being a big one (which will also get fixed).

Luckily, I've remembered to not get so dependent on anybody's digital maps that I can't function without them. That came in handy on my recent trip to Edmonton.

As long as the basic functionality is there (and so far it seems to be), I can wait for the inevitable improvements.

HowEver
Sep 20th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Navigon is pretty amazing. Wait until it goes on sale (along with its add-ons) for half price (a few times each year), or get it today for $10 off. If you already have it, upgrade to today's release to get new maps for free.

JPDeM
Sep 20th, 2012, 10:14 PM
If they can't get North America quite right, imagine what it will be like when you travel. I think it is a major step back. I hope to get google maps back soon.
How google maps were when it started is irrelevant now. If you buy a car do you compare it to the Ford model T?

gmark2000
Sep 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Navigon is pretty amazing. Wait until it goes on sale (along with its add-ons) for half price (a few times each year), or get it today for $10 off. If you already have it, upgrade to today's release to get new maps for free.

Garmin owns Navigon as of last year. I have the Navigon app and it's great were it not for the enormity of the app and files.

http://www.blogcdn.com//media/2012/09/a3qlphucqaascjz.jpg

spiffychristian
Sep 20th, 2012, 11:36 PM

HowEver
Sep 20th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I have the North American version but they changed it a year or two ago so you only have to download the regions you need, so I use Ontario only unless I travel--it's greatly reduced the size of the app (to 1.2GB ... but that's why I have a 32GB phone and a 64GB phone on order :) ).

Garmin owns Navigon as of last year. I have the Navigon app and it's great were it not for the enormity of the app and files.

_wb_
Sep 20th, 2012, 11:54 PM
In Toronto I have been using Apple Maps and it gets the job done. It needs work but that will come over time. I am tired of hearing people complain about the Maps as if that was the deal breaker between buying an iPhone or not.

gmark2000
Sep 21st, 2012, 12:03 AM
Not Canada but quite telling.

http://i.imgur.com/MyWGT.jpg

_wb_
Sep 21st, 2012, 12:26 AM
Not Canada but quite telling.

http://i.imgur.com/MyWGT.jpg

"Not Canada". It will get better over time. It is just another app. 1-2 years it will be at the same level or better than G Maps without any ads.

Dennis Nedry
Sep 21st, 2012, 06:26 AM
[deleted]

chas_m
Sep 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM
I'd like you to find me ANY example of an app -- on any platform -- that was perfect as it was in version 1.0 and changed nothing by the time version 5.0 came around.

If you need detailed maps, you have SO MANY OPTIONS. Open your freakin' web browser and point it at Google Maps if you like.

If you're so dependent on maps that you can't function in your daily life without them:

1. Don't upgrade to iOS 6 yet. Give it a little time. Or download one of the DOZENS of options for maps/navigation/GPS etc.

2. You may want to use this moment to re-evaluate your dependence on technology generally, and how it might be useful (even life-saving) to learn the life skills necessary to get around a new town or area without a computer. Just sayin'.

psycosis
Sep 21st, 2012, 09:44 AM
I'd like you to find me ANY example of an app -- on any platform -- that was perfect as it was in version 1.0 and changed nothing by the time version 5.0 came around.

How many apps or platforms took a version 5.0 product and replaced it with a 1.0 product? That is the issue.

_wb_
Sep 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM
I laugh at that comment every time I see it.

From their point of view, Maps used to work. Now it doesn't, but hey, there's a whole lot of other people bitching and complaining about the exact same thing.

-DN

And I smile at your comments every time I rread it. Don't get mad...just read and let me know your thoughts. If you don't like Apple Maps or not willing to wait then either get another navigation app or wait until they fix it or buy a different phone :) . If the Google Maps in iOS is all you care then maybe its time to move on. In the end, I think it is just a very small fraction of the users that care this much about a map app. I never really used Google's map cause it didn't have I think it is called assisted turn-by-turn...so for me that app was useless and I downloaded something else to replace it.

I have been using Apple Maps without a problem in Toronto but some were not as lucky in other parts of the world. It might take 1-2 years (more...maybe less since this is all overrated) Google probably took over 5 years at least to get where it is. Google maps does not define the iPhone or make it more or less attractive to me.

On another note, nobody knows why Maps is not Google's in iOS anymore. You can speculate a reason but in the end that is all it is. Maybe Google had unreasonable terms or maybe Apple had others. Who knows. In the end, consumers get more choices. I think the expectation that Apple has to be nothing but perfect is not realistic (even though I know they try to sell it like this as part of mkting)

Competition tend to make products better. I think Google is the one mostly on the lower side of the balance now because all their iOS traffic is now on Apple's servers. So it is a big loss for Google. It might be a big win for Google to free itself from contracts with Apple and release their own Maps with Ads! YouTube for example looks better now than before when it came with iOS. They might sometime in the future release a Google's Maps App for iOS or not. Who knows.

satchmo
Sep 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM
This will be a non-issue in a year from now.

Either Apple will have improved on Maps or Google will have it's maps as a standalone app.

It's in Google's best interest in having it on iOS...given the millions of users and their reported greater web usage over other mobile devices.

psxp
Sep 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM
One of The reasons I dumped my iPhone and went to Galaxy Nexus was the poor Apple Maps in my opinion. No doubt Google will release their map app soon though..

SINC
Sep 21st, 2012, 12:52 PM
In case you missed it in the visually humorous thread.

gmark2000
Sep 21st, 2012, 01:13 PM
One of The reasons I dumped my iPhone and went to Galaxy Nexus was the poor Apple Maps in my opinion. No doubt Google will release their map app soon though..

Are you trolling? Because Apple's new Maps weren't available to the public until yesterday (Thursday) when iOS 6 dropped. You dumped your iPhone yesterday based on your experience with a launch release that at this point is less that 24 hours old?

crawford
Sep 21st, 2012, 01:54 PM
I don't think he's trolling. Even as of iOS 5, the built-in mapping app was inferior to the built-in app in Android 4.1. It's one of the few examples where Android is ahead of iOS.

_wb_
Sep 21st, 2012, 07:52 PM
Are you trolling? Because Apple's new Maps weren't available to the public until yesterday (Thursday) when iOS 6 dropped. You dumped your iPhone yesterday based on your experience with a launch release that at this point is less that 24 hours old?

Exactly. His or her full citizenship should be revoked. This is probably the same guy that complained about Flash and look where that is now! ;)