: Go through with FutureShop preorder, or stand in line at the Apple store?

Kush
Sep 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I currently have an iPhone preordered at FutureShop, which I was told I can pick up on launch day. But I also ahve an Applestore which is about 1km away from the Futureshop.

Since Apple isn't selling outright phones at the store anymore, would it be more worthwhile to just to line up at the Apple Store at 6am and get a phone on Contract there?

Thanks,
Kush

fjnmusic
Sep 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I currently have an iPhone preordered at FutureShop, which I was told I can pick up on launch day. But I also ahve an Applestore which is about 1km away from the Futureshop.

Since Apple isn't selling outright phones at the store anymore, would it be more worthwhile to just to line up at the Apple Store at 6am and get a phone on Contract there?

Thanks,
Kush

I would imagine if anyone is going to be low on stock, it will be the carriers and third-party sellers like FS before the Apple Stores. Why do you say that Apple isn't selling outright phones at the store anymore? I just saw a whole whack of them for sale on Saturday at the West Edmonton Mall Apple Store. 4's and 4S's of course, with or without carriers, but they'll have 5's in soon enough. In my experience, they rarely run out, plus you don't have to deal with the hassle of FS trying to push its FS warranty on you.

Kush
Sep 17th, 2012, 05:07 PM
https://www.ehmac.ca/all-ios-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch-apple-tv-itunes/101602-canada-apple-stores-will-not-sell-unlocked-iphone-5-launch-day.html

No Outright iPhones will be sold on Launch day at the Apple store

gmark2000
Sep 17th, 2012, 05:13 PM
An outright phone is different from an unlocked one. You can buy a phone outright 'locked'.

emalen
Sep 17th, 2012, 05:32 PM
I'm trying my luck at Future Shop on Friday. I've already reserved mine, and the employee said that unlike previous years, they're more organized in the sense that Apple allocated them a certain amount and that's all they've been allowed to provide for customers. So assuming Apple doesn't screw Future Shop by not coming through on their promise, we should be in luck.

gmark2000
Sep 17th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Well my reservation is with my local Future Shop and they assured me that stock is allocated for both reservations and for launch day sales. My guess is that each store is getting an assortment of sizes and colours. The mix and quota clearly thought out. The only screw up would be Future Shop receiving the delivery from China on Thursday night.

emalen
Sep 20th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Was just called by Future Shop and informed that my pre order of a white 32gb is delayed until 2pm, versus my original 9am pickup. Needless to say, my confidence in Future Shop not screwing me over tomorrow is not high! They did throw in a 50gift card which is nice, but it will all be for naught if they don't come through with the phone tomorrow. Will keep you all posted!