: Forced factory work via Foxconn and the iPhone 5?

Dennis Nedry
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:56 PM
[deleted]

steviewhy
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:31 AM
sudo rm -rf /

andreww
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Funny how whenever these allegations against Foxconn come up, people always blame Apple, even though many other electronics manufacturers use their services. In the referenced article I see no mention from the quoted students of being forced specifically on the iPhone, yet the title specifies that they have been enlisted for the sole purpose of working on the iPhone 5. Me thinks that may be a little bit of journalistic sensationalism to garner attention. Really, if these kids are being used as slave labour, does it really matter if they are making iPhones, XBoxes or PSPs?

My guess is that there is probably another side to the story.

andreww
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Why is Apple still dealing with this company? I never hear anything good about Foxconn. I was going to say something like "I'd happily pay more for my iPhone if it meant it was built in North America"
-DN

If the iPhone were produced in North America, it would easily be in the $2,000 range. Not going to happen. I'm sure Apple would love nothing more than to disassociate with Foxconn, but where else are they going to go? What other company's are big enough to handle production of such a large number of devices in short periods of time? There is a reason why Apple, Sony, etc. all continue to use them!

Joker Eh
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Funny how whenever these allegations against Foxconn come up, people always blame Apple, even though many other electronics manufacturers use their services. In the referenced article I see no mention from the quoted students of being forced specifically on the iPhone, yet the title specifies that they have been enlisted for the sole purpose of working on the iPhone 5. Me thinks that may be a little bit of journalistic sensationalism to garner attention. Really, if these kids are being used as slave labour, does it really matter if they are making iPhones, XBoxes or PSPs?

My guess is that there is probably another side to the story.

Totally agree.

If the iPhone were produced in North America, it would easily be in the $2,000 range. Not going to happen. I'm sure Apple would love nothing more than to disassociate with Foxconn, but where else are they going to go? What other company's are big enough to handle production of such a large number of devices in short periods of time? There is a reason why Apple, Sony, etc. all continue to use them!

That is not entirely true. That would be like saying if cars were manufactured in China they would be half the price they are now. Nope. The are priced at what the market is willing to pay. Apple has 1 Billion $$$$$ :greedy: in the bank for a reason, no one donated it to them. To me that says their product is priced really high. I am sure they could cut a quarter of the price off and still be a very successful company maybe more so.

Strimkind
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Not necessarily true. From what I have read about the manufacturing process in Foxconn plants, there are a lot of workers doing the work manually as they are cheaper than machines. I am sure that if production were moved to North America that Apple, Sony, etc would find a way to automate most of the work to keep costs down.

There also has to be a will to move it away from such manufacturers like Foxconn. It is easier/cheaper to send inspectors and create reports on the improvements at Foxconn then it is to find another solution or build a plant in North America.

andreww
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Problem is, like it or not, Foxconn is currently the cheapest option. If Apple moved production to America, the plant would have to be dedicated to their product alone. Foxconn is cheaper because they produce for multiple companies and the cost of operation is also differed among multiple companies. If Apple moves, Sony and the like have an advantage. Either they all pull out or none of them do.

As for Apple having a billion in the bank, thats because they run their business smartly. Building quality products and standing behind them with solid customer service for decades tends to pay dividends. Its not because they have their products built at Foxconn.

Joker Eh
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Problem is, like it or not, Foxconn is currently the cheapest option. If Apple moved production to America, the plant would have to be dedicated to their product alone. Foxconn is cheaper because they produce for multiple companies and the cost of operation is also differed among multiple companies. If Apple moves, Sony and the like have an advantage. Either they all pull out or none of them do.

As for Apple having a billion in the bank, thats because they run their business smartly. Building quality products and standing behind them with solid customer service for decades tends to pay dividends. Its not because they have their products built at Foxconn.

Well we will have to agree to disagree.

John Clay
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Try 117 billions in the bank. Rest of your point stands though.

i-rui
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM
if this is true (and there isn't any real concrete evidence to say it is) then the problem extends beyond foxconn into the entire Chinese system of government. A manufacturer doesn't get to do something like what is being alleged without the approval and co-operation of the government.

But i would take these things with a grain of salt until concrete evidence comes out. there is now (more then ever) parties who have a large stake in damaging the apple brand.

As for Apple moving production to north america, someone posted an article on why that will never happen. It's not just the reduced cost of labour in china, it's that access to the supply chain. Apple would have to move not just their own business interests, but those of all their suppliers to facilitate that sort of change. Which (unfortunately) just isn't going to happen.

hayesk
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I think there Is partial truth to this story. I've also read that it is common for students to do intern work to help pay for state-run education.

Regardless, you'd have to be a fool or a logically-blind Apple-hater if you think this is limited to the parts of Foxconn that make Apple products, or even limited to Foxconn.

MazterCBlazter
Oct 9th, 2012, 12:20 PM