: Will Rogers unlock an iPhone 4?

Benito
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I hope to purchase a 6th gen. iPhone from Apple, one that isn't locked so when I travel to the US I can use it there. I have another year left on my contract with Rogers from when I got the iPhone 4.

When I purchase the 6th gen iPhone and then use it on my current Rogers contract, will Rogers unlock my old iPhone 4 for me, or can I get it unlocked some other way if they don't.

I unlocked and jail braked my iPhone 3G when I got my iPhone 4, but I'd rather not have to jailbreak the iPhone 4 to unlock it.

sorin1974
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I would not Jail Brake an iPhone as It will void your warranty

John Clay
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I hope to purchase a 6th gen. iPhone from Apple, one that isn't locked so when I travel to the US I can use it there. I have another year left on my contract with Rogers from when I got the iPhone 4.

When I purchase the 6th gen iPhone and then use it on my current Rogers contract, will Rogers unlock my old iPhone 4 for me, or can I get it unlocked some other way if they don't.

I unlocked and jail braked my iPhone 3G when I got my iPhone 4, but I'd rather not have to jailbreak the iPhone 4 to unlock it.

Rogers will unlock the phone for a nominal fee, assuming the device is no longer subsidized, and the account is in good standing.

I believe the fee is currently $50.

Benito
Sep 4th, 2012, 12:11 PM
The iPhone 4 is subsidized, I assume for as long as the contract which is three years. However, if I am putting a newer iPhone on that contract, I am wondering if they would unlock it even though the iPhone 4 is still subsidized because I am still using that contract with them for the duration of the year. I'm not going to cancel the three year contract until it runs its course.

John Clay
Sep 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM
The iPhone 4 is subsidized, I assume for as long as the contract which is three years. However, if I am putting a newer iPhone on that contract, I am wondering if they would unlock it even though the iPhone 4 is still subsidized because I am still using that contract with them for the duration of the year. I'm not going to cancel the three year contract until it runs its course.

If you resign a new contract, then the old one is considered paid off. Shouldn't be an issue unlocking it.

wonderings
Sep 4th, 2012, 03:53 PM
What is involved with doing this? I bought my 4S from Apple unlocked, but my old iPhone 4 which I gave to my mom is locked to Rogers. Currently I am not in contract with Rogers, as the 3 years is up, but still have my plan with them. Can I have them unlock this phone? Is it just a phone call, bill my account and they do the rest on their end? Or is there something they need to do hardware wise to unlock it?

John Clay
Sep 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM
What is involved with doing this? I bought my 4S from Apple unlocked, but my old iPhone 4 which I gave to my mom is locked to Rogers. Currently I am not in contract with Rogers, as the 3 years is up, but still have my plan with them. Can I have them unlock this phone? Is it just a phone call, bill my account and they do the rest on their end? Or is there something they need to do hardware wise to unlock it?

No hardware changes.

You phone them, get the phone unlocked, and then (if memory serves), plug the phone into iTunes to update the lock status.

Lawrence
Sep 4th, 2012, 04:03 PM
No hardware changes.

You phone them, get the phone unlocked, and then (if memory serves), plug the phone into iTunes to update the lock status.

Is that with anybody?
I have my iPhone with Virgin and even though I paid it off,
It's still locked to Virgin, When I phoned them to unlock it,
They told me to take to a street person to unlock it. WTF?

John Clay
Sep 4th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Is that with anybody?
I have my iPhone with Virgin and even though I paid it off,
It's still locked to Virgin, When I phoned them to unlock it,
They told me to take to a street person to unlock it. WTF?

All carriers can technically do it, but only Rogers is offering it in Canada (as far as I'm aware).

Tech Elementz
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Based on their official Apple carrier list support page, it seems Fido, Rogers & Telus are the only carriers in Canada authorized to hardware unlock an iPhone.

iPhone: Locating wireless carriers (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937)

G-Mo
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:38 PM
All carriers can technically do it, but only Rogers is offering it in Canada (as far as I'm aware).

For sure Fido will do it (I've done it) and I know of mates in Kelowna on Telus doing it (as per above).

Macfury
Sep 5th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Will Rogers unlocks an iPhone:

johnnydee
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Funny I was thinking the same thing!
You're also giving your age away!!

rondini
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Put me on the list for the "Will Rogers' connection too.
thanks for the pic.

Macfury
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Ha-I couldn't resist!

lily18
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:11 PM
How much would Rogers charge to unlock a subsidized phone? Or would they even do it?

rondini
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:14 PM
will not do.

G-Mo
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:05 PM
How much would Rogers charge to unlock a subsidized phone? Or would they even do it?

You'd have to buy out the remaining term on the contract, and then pay $50 for the unlock.

croato
Jan 23rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
Hi guys just wondered if someone can direct me for my problem..
I have iPhone 4 simlocked to Rogers Canada, but I am in Europe now and wondering if I could get my iPhone ulocked for other carriers since my contract expired and my warranty also expired.

Dr_AL
Jan 23rd, 2013, 03:08 PM
Hi guys just wondered if someone can direct me for my problem..
I have iPhone 4 simlocked to Rogers Canada, but I am in Europe now and wondering if I could get my iPhone ulocked for other carriers since my contract expired and my warranty also expired.

Call Rogers to enquire about an official unlock. Granted that would be long distance from Europe. However with that said I believe you have to be a current Rogers customer for them to unlock it. Since I assume you no longer have a roger account then they may not unlock it.

The other option which may be an option is to find a third party in Europe to unlock the iPhone. It won't be ideal and it may come with some added headaches

Sent from my iPhone

croato
Jan 23rd, 2013, 03:18 PM
Yes, I already called local unlockers here in EU they want like 250 CAD which is total rippoff...my mobile number at Rogers was +1 604 761 6417, dk if I should call the Rogers from here 'cause they will probaby overcharge for the call.
Oh thx anyway, I guess I wont be using my iPhone for some time until someone cracks the 6.0.

raydar
Jan 25th, 2013, 01:16 PM

I did a similar thing.

Rogers does unlock the iPhone for a $50 fee (mandatory) granted:

- Account is in good standing
- A billing period/month has passed. That's long enough time that you can't return the new device you upgraded to anymore since they can't re-lock the phone
- You have already paid the hardware discount or are willing to pay what is remaining of it
- You are the original/latest owner of the contract iPhone was locked to

croato
Feb 1st, 2013, 12:41 PM
C'mon guys I need one person with some spare time that would call the Rogers their number is 1-888-764-3771 and their hours are: Monday to Friday 8AM to midnight and Saturday and Sunday 8AM to 9PM EST...and just have a little chit-chat and ask them if they could unlock my iPhone for free :

How to Unlock a Rogers Phone for Free | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_7225863_unlock-rogers-phone.html)

I think you don't have anything to loose but some time.
All you need is the IMEI NO. : 01 242600 686244 8

croato
Feb 16th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Rogers adopts new unlocking policy (http://crackberry.com/rogers-gets-traveler-friendly-new-roaming-plans-and-unlocking-policy). This cannot help me yet to unlock my iPhone. Still waiting, almost a month now.

chas_m
Feb 26th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Fido appears to have adopted this policy now as well. Would have been nice to have known this before my recent trip down south but at least I can get it done before the next one. Woot!

Gerk
Feb 27th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Just got my older iPhone unlocked through them, was pretty painless. Taking it on a trip to the US later this spring, will see how it works out.

HowEver
Mar 1st, 2013, 12:01 PM
Of course, it has to be a phone you purchased from Rogers in order to get them to unlock it.

Seems fair to me.

IllusionX
Mar 1st, 2013, 12:51 PM
More like you have to be the original owner of the phone to get it unlocked by Rogers.
Perhaps they want to make sure that you completed your agreement before proceeding rather than letting you make money by reselling it for the extra that it is worth.

Dr_AL
Mar 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM
More like you have to be the original owner of the phone to get it unlocked by Rogers.
Perhaps they want to make sure that you completed your agreement before proceeding rather than letting you make money by reselling it for the extra that it is worth.

Rogers will unlock an iPhone if you are NOT the original owner. Of course they may not unlock it if it was reported as stolen or if it has money outstanding on the original account of the original owner.

Sent from my iPhone

IllusionX
Mar 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM
Do they? Can I just call Rogers and have it unlocked for the same 50$? Even if I am not with Rogers?
My wife is using chatr with a Rogers phone...

Dr_AL
Mar 2nd, 2013, 04:43 PM
You need to be a Rogers customer for them to unlock it. You could try and get a payasyou go account and unlock it through that account.

Sent from my iPhone

IllusionX
Mar 2nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
Ill try to call on behalf of my (work) account then.
I wonder.. Is it better to unlock an iPhone 4. Or wait till my (work) account contract over and unlock my 4s? But that will be at least another year..

Dr_AL
Mar 2nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Rogers has no limit on phones they will unlock as long as you meet their requirements. I've purchased used phones then had very little issues unlocking them on a pay as you go account that doesn't get used for anything anymore. I'm up to unlocking 4 devices for friends with Rogers.

Sent from my iPhone

marybro
May 16th, 2013, 09:22 AM

not sure whether rogers will unlock your iPhone... in that case you can opt for online service providers to get your phone unlocked.... when I wanted my mobile unlocked I did it with MobileUnlocker.com (http://www.mobile-unlocker.com/apple-iphone-4/rs2wp9/) to get unlock codes... they helped me in unlocking and provided step by step instructions on how to unlock my mobile.... so instead of jailbreaking you can go for unlocking...