: iPhone 5 to be unveiled September 12th

krs
Jul 31st, 2012, 07:21 PM
Reports: iPhone 5 to be unveiled Sept. 12 - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/tech/mobile/iphone-5-release-date/index.html?hpt=hp_t3)

Garry
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:38 PM
Shouldn't there e a question mark at the end of your title? Until the announcement it's all conjecture, isn't it?

G-Mo
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:52 PM
shouldn't there e a question mark at the end of your title? Until the announcement it's all conjecture, isn't it?

+1

krs
Jul 31st, 2012, 11:58 PM
Shouldn't there be a question mark at the end of your title? Until the announcement it's all conjecture, isn't it?

I actually thought about adding that and then decided to just copy exactly what CNN had on their site.

fjnmusic
Aug 1st, 2012, 01:43 AM
I actually thought about adding that and then decided to just copy exactly what CNN had on their site.

Well it could be an iPad Mini for all we know. Or a full-size AppleTV set. Or something we haven't even predicted yet. AirPlay for cars, for example.

pm-r
Aug 1st, 2012, 02:19 AM
Well it could be an iPad Mini for all we know. Or a full-size AppleTV set. Or something we haven't even predicted yet. AirPlay for cars, for example.

That's exactly what I heard on my car radio this afternoon along with some recent Apple news - a new "iPad Mini".

And then some very brief Apple/Samsung lawsuit update stuff. Yawn!!

fyrefly
Aug 1st, 2012, 03:19 AM
iPad Mini 7.85" and new iPhone (not iPhone 5 - the 4S was already the 5). Everyone and their baby has confirmed this (especially Jim Dalrymple who's notoriously reliable). It's pretty much a done deal now, isn't it... tho the wild cards will be whether the iPod Touch/Nano get updated as rumours suggest. But hopefully!

andreww
Aug 1st, 2012, 07:49 AM
I guess until Apple confirms it nothing is 100%, but this one is a pretty safe bet. The iPhone is long overdue for a major update and this date fits with the timeline.

groovetube
Aug 1st, 2012, 09:35 AM
wow. I recall a lot of sneering when it was suggested that apple would produce a 7" tablet. This would be surprising. :)

raydar
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM
If there's NFC, I might bite the bullet.

Tech Elementz
Aug 1st, 2012, 09:29 PM
Considering The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/30/3204810/next-apple-iphone-5-event-date-rumor-september-12), Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-30/apple-said-to-prepare-iphone-redesign-for-sept-12-introduction.html), Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/31/us-apple-iphone-idUSBRE86U04A20120731), The New York Times (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/apple-event-is-set-for-september/), The Loop (http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/30/apples-rumored-september-12-event/), AllThingsD (http://allthingsd.com/20120730/apple-stocks-up-on-components-for-fall-product-launch/), and iMore verify/confirm the day, I would not be surprised if September 12 was the official date. Not this many people would confirm such a date if it were not bound to happen...

fjnmusic
Aug 1st, 2012, 10:33 PM
Considering The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/30/3204810/next-apple-iphone-5-event-date-rumor-september-12), Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-30/apple-said-to-prepare-iphone-redesign-for-sept-12-introduction.html), Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/31/us-apple-iphone-idUSBRE86U04A20120731), The New York Times (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/apple-event-is-set-for-september/), The Loop (http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/07/30/apples-rumored-september-12-event/), AllThingsD (http://allthingsd.com/20120730/apple-stocks-up-on-components-for-fall-product-launch/), and iMore verify/confirm the day, I would not be surprised if September 12 was the official date. Not this many people would confirm such a date if it were not bound to happen...

I dunno. A lot of people were in agreement about weapons of mass destruction as a reason to stage a pre-emotive strike against Iraq. Doesn't mean they were right.

kloan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:34 AM
That's a reasonable comparison.

w00t.... iPhone 5!! yeah..... can't wait!! marked it on my calendar... gonna line up and EVERYTHING.

but seriously folks... i says to the guy i says......... tha pics floating around look GOOD. i like the new design. we'll see if it's the real deal on SEPT 12th!!!! YEAH!!

MacUnited
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
I slightly disagree.
after finally accepting the idea of a small dock connector and having to replace all the accessories I bought, I just can't get my head around the rumored new location for the headphone jack! i feel the bottom location is so very unnatural and awkward!
and the tall design is not too attractive either! along with the two different colors on the back.
I really hope these are just rumors though, and we'll see a sleeker design from apple, cause I really hate to say it, Samsung is catching up very quickly and stealing apple's thunder!!

fjnmusic
Aug 2nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
I slightly disagree.
after finally accepting the idea of a small dock connector and having to replace all the accessories I bought, I just can't get my head around the rumored new location for the headphone jack! i feel the bottom location is so very unnatural and awkward!
and the tall design is not too attractive either! along with the two different colors on the back.
I really hope these are just rumors though, and we'll see a sleeker design from apple, cause I really hate to say it, Samsung is catching up very quickly and stealing apple's thunder!!

Oh it's not just the thunder they've been stealing…

MacUnited
Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm really interested though.. how many of the folks here think that the headphone jack at the bottom is a good idea?

Ravindra Mohabeer
Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
I like the idea of the headphone jack at the bottom. I keep my phone in my pocket and it's always 'bottom's up' except when I have the headphones plugged in. I find it easier to press the button to access SIRI that way or to quickly answer the phone when I have to take it out of the sleeve (I don't have a 'case' since my pocket is notorious for scratching phones).

Having the jack on the bottom would be more natural for me.

Joker Eh
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:07 PM
headphone in the bottom is the natural location. For example if you use your iPhone in your car and need to connect it for power and use the headphone jack to connect it to the stereo you can no longer place your iPhone nicely into for example a cup holder. When you put you iPhone into your pocket is should go upside down so when you pull it out it is right side up you don't have to flip it around.

Now I hope the designs I see in terms of length and 2 tone colours on the back are wrong. I hope Apple has pulled a fast one on everyone. Tim did say they would be doubling up on IP security. So maybe like the same people who thought the "iPhone 5" was coming out with some crazy design when the iPhone 4S came out and they were wrong and the same when they said there would be a 13" MBP Retina and wrong again.

I think Apple can do better than what we have seen as mockups.

psycosis
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:24 PM
headphone in the bottom is the natural location. For example if you use your iPhone in your car and need to connect it for power and use the headphone jack to connect it to the stereo you can no longer place your iPhone nicely into for example a cup holder. When you put you iPhone into your pocket is should go upside down so when you pull it out it is right side up you don't have to flip it around.

You are doing it wrong. You should be using the line out in the dock connector to connect to audio and power.

Joker Eh
Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
You are doing it wrong. You should be using the line out in the dock connector to connect to audio and power.

Really? So where would you connect the audio jack? I don't know about your dock connector but mine has no audio connection to my cig lighter.

Anyways that was all before I got a new truck which has bluetooth. But know many who to connect the saound to their system its through an audio cable they connect to the headphone jack.

kloan
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
I slightly disagree.

i don't mind the headphone port on the bottom all that much because the iPod touch has it and i used that for a while so got used to it. i agree the smaller dock connector is a big kick in the nuts from Apple though. I don't understand why they're so damn stubborn and don't just adapt to using micro USB like EVERYONE else uses.

psycosis
Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:09 AM
Really? So where would you connect the audio jack? I don't know about your dock connector but mine has no audio connection to my cig lighter.

Anyways that was all before I got a new truck which has bluetooth. But know many who to connect the saound to their system its through an audio cable they connect to the headphone jack.

There are a few iPhone car charges that have a audio jack on the part that connects into the cig lighter. I know not everyone has these, I was kinda playing the role of Apple :)

Joker Eh
Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:43 AM
There are a few iPhone car charges that have a audio jack on the part that connects into the cig lighter. I know not everyone has these, I was kinda playing the role of Apple :)

Ah.

bobsmyuncle
Aug 5th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I always put my phone in my pocket with the dock connector down to protect it from dust, dirt etc. Having it point upwards is foolish IMO.

Changing the dock connector is just amazing to me. Apple has so quickly gone from the cool, quirky, underdog to the megalomaniac superpower that is mocked and hated.

Releasing updates at a blistering pace, and taxing your followers with replacing their accessory investments is simply insulting.

Planned obsolescence is becoming a catch phrase that is followed or preceded by "Apple" within 6 words.

satchmo
Aug 6th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I always put my phone in my pocket with the dock connector down to protect it from dust, dirt etc. Having it point upwards is foolish IMO.

Changing the dock connector is just amazing to me. Apple has so quickly gone from the cool, quirky, underdog to the megalomaniac superpower that is mocked and hated.

Releasing updates at a blistering pace, and taxing your followers with replacing their accessory investments is simply insulting.

Planned obsolescence is becoming a catch phrase that is followed or preceded by "Apple" within 6 words.

How is a new pin connector which hasn't changed since it's inception 5 years ago, considered a blistering pace? Plus, we don't know the full facts yet. There may be an added feature from these new connectors. The savings in space could provide for a larger battery or room for new chips. We simply don't know yet.

A new connector is simply an inconvenience that will be solved by an adapter. You may see Apple being mocked for these moves, but I see this as progress and never standing still.

fjnmusic
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM
From the web page of Julian Lennon. Inside scoop perhaps, or just more speculation?

okcomputer
Aug 12th, 2012, 08:53 PM

Yeah, because there's never dust, fuzzies, dirt or anything in pockets...

Changing the dock connector is just amazing to me. Apple has so quickly gone from the cool, quirky, underdog to the megalomaniac superpower that is mocked and hated..... Etc.

This is complete hyperbole. The dock connector was first used in the third gen iPod, released in April of 2003. If Apple changes to a different connector, it'll be after almost 9.5 years of using the same connector. THAT is amazing to me. To stick with a piece of hardware for close to 10 years.

If they are changing it, it is to decrease the internal space required as well as simplify. If there is anything Apple claims it is all about, it is simplicity. The 30-pin connector just isn't necessary anymore and it's the only thing in the iPhone and iPod that hasn't shrunk in 9 years.

kloan
Aug 12th, 2012, 09:05 PM
From the web page of Julian Lennon. Inside scoop perhaps, or just more speculation?

No.

fjnmusic
Aug 13th, 2012, 03:24 AM
No.

Care to elaborate?

I think it could be a very good candidate for the supposed iPad Mini. Only difference is, I think it will be simply marketed as the new iPod Touch Maxi. Well, probably some better word than Maxi, but it makes more sense to introduce a larger iPod Touch than a smaller iPad, although both products are selling just fine at the moment.

groovetube
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM

I love, the all aluminum design. I'm not much for the full glass thing currently on iphones.

equisol
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Double post, sorry

equisol
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM
How is a new pin connector which hasn't changed since it's inception 5 years ago, considered a blistering pace? Plus, we don't know the full facts yet. There may be an added feature from these new connectors. The savings in space could provide for a larger battery or room for new chips. We simply don't know yet.

A new connector is simply an inconvenience that will be solved by an adapter. You may see Apple being mocked for these moves, but I see this as progress and never standing still.

+ 1, if there would not be any progress, we still would be driving Model T's and they would all be black. And we would not have any iPhones to bitch about the connector.

equisol
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Looks good, but I do not think that is it, there is a detailed article on Macrumors that shows the back of the iPhone 5, mostly aluminum, but top and bottom plastic for the antennas. But the pics sure look nice

Joker Eh
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Just get rid of the home button already.

crawford
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Just get rid of the home button already.

After spending some time using the Galaxy Nexus, one of the biggest adjustments I had to make was the absence of a physical home button. I was constantly trying to use the device upside down. The home button is a great visual cue (for me, at least).

crawford
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:43 AM
The dock connector was first used in the third gen iPod, released in April of 2003. If Apple changes to a different connector, it'll be after almost 9.5 years of using the same connector. THAT is amazing to me. To stick with a piece of hardware for close to 10 years.

While it's true that they have retained the same physical connector, there have been functional changes over time (e.g., elimination of firewire charging which impacted *many* third party accessories).

fjnmusic
Aug 13th, 2012, 11:25 AM
While it's true that they have retained the same physical connector, there have been functional changes over time (e.g., elimination of firewire charging which impacted *many* third party accessories).

No doubt. I have found a great many accessories that do not work with the current iPhone or iPod Touch despite having the same 30 pin connector.

kloan
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Care to elaborate?

I think it could be a very good candidate for the supposed iPad Mini. Only difference is, I think it will be simply marketed as the new iPod Touch Maxi. Well, probably some better word than Maxi, but it makes more sense to introduce a larger iPod Touch than a smaller iPad, although both products are selling just fine at the moment.
I don't think it looks like anything they'd bring to market. It just looks like someone's rendering.

I'm leaning towards believing the 'leaked' photos we've seen up til now are probably closer to what's going to be released.

Joker Eh
Aug 13th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I don't think it looks like anything they'd bring to market. It just looks like someone's rendering.

I'm leaning towards believing the 'leaked' photos we've seen up til now are probably closer to what's going to be released.

I hope Tim's comments about double down on security is a game by apple to release these fake parts and something totally different comes out

Joker Eh
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Interesting story.

Day4 - How we screwed (almost) the whole Apple community (http://day4.se/how-we-screwed-almost-the-whole-apple-community/)

fjnmusic
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Interesting story.

Day4 - How we screwed (almost) the whole Apple community (http://day4.se/how-we-screwed-almost-the-whole-apple-community/)

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. Interesting read.

MacUnited
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Well I remember watching an interview for Steve jobs where he said that he doesn't want the Internet to be a nation of bloggers.. And I agreed with him wholeheartedly.. And that's why..

okcomputer
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Interesting story.

Loved that experiment. Interesting to see where it breaks down. To be fair, the big news sites like Yahoo were skeptical and mentioned it was a rumor, but it was tech bloggers and tweeters who fueled the fire without keeping that healthy dose of skepticism. Kind of plays into the "What is considered journalism?" discussion.

satchmo
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:29 PM
From the web page of Julian Lennon.

The singer?

joeyrussell37
Aug 17th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Interesting story.

Thanks for the link, it's a very interesting read. It just shows how fast information spreads on the Internet, and so much of it has to be taken with at least a grain of salt.

People who write articles need to make a better effort to disclaim RUMOUR, otherwise, things like that could happen really easily. There are just too many people in this world that trust everything that's on their screen.

groovetube
Aug 17th, 2012, 03:31 PM
A great example as to why I laugh at people posting links to technical bloggers as some kind of proof.

fjnmusic
Aug 17th, 2012, 03:38 PM
The singer?

And offspring of the late Beatle. You can find him on Facebook. He's mostly doing photography these days, though he has recently released new album.

groovetube
Sep 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Soooo, this is tomorrow. I don't see much chatter about this. ANyone pre ordering?

I skipped 4S, but I'm not skipping this one.

Andrew Pratt
Sep 11th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I'll be ordering the new iPhone as soon as possible. I'm ready to upgrade from my iPhone 4

steviewhy
Sep 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM
sudo rm -rf /

krs
Sep 11th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Soooo, this is tomorrow. I don't see much chatter about this.

I'm not in the market for one so I haven't been following any rumours about what the new iPhone will include, but there was a lengthy article on the German news site Spiegel.

I ran that through google translate - a bit funny English but I think it's good enough to understand what they mean.

How do you know that Apple will soon unveil a new iPhone model? Online marketplaces burst almost before a glut of used iPhones. Only the German edition of eBay lists more than 4500 contract-free iPhone deals. Apparently, many fans prepare is preparing to purchase a new Apple phone soon. The reason for the sale euphoria Apple has even delivered: Last week, the company sent out invitations to events in San Francisco and London to media representatives.

DISPLAY
"It's almost here," was the headline, including a large twelve was named as a date, the shadow formed a five. This leaves no question Apple is on 12 September to introduce the iPhone 5. SPIEGEL ONLINE on Wednesday will report live from 19 clock of the event and provide the first details of the sixth-generation iPhone.

But now you can do from the circulating for months, rumors and reports an approximate idea of ​​what look like the next Apple phone, which functions will be provided. The key data we have summarized below:

iOS 6

With the new iPhone Apple will introduce a significantly revised version of its mobile operating system iOS. More than 200 new features to contain the software that will be for older iPhones, iPads and the iPod touch. The voice-controlled assistant Siri function is improved is to introduce Apple's own Maps app and the ticket passbook. The previously pre-installed YouTube app is however not included. Apple says the license has expired for that. A large loss is not of course. Google has just announced a new version of the YouTube app for iOS, you will soon be on the German App Store to load.

Chance: safe

Display

The screen of the new iPhone has to be larger. While the competition developed with screens up to 5.5 inches in the direction of tablet format, Apple has fixed since 2007 at 3.5 inches diagonal. It is expected that the screen extends to about four inches, but there is not much wider than before. In this way, there could be the available screen space can be extended to a further series of icons to make room. On the other hand, would remain the ergonomics of the 3.5-inch format retained approximately.

Probability: High

LTE

A new iPhone without LTE (Long Term Evolution) is hardly conceivable. Both in the U.S. and in Europe the fast data transmission is considered next stage in mobile networks. Up to 100 Mbit / s, the fourth-generation mobile networks transmit, surpassing DSL connections. The current iPad is already equipped with this technology, but they can only use in the U.S. networks. When iPhone 5 this should be over. As Nokia's new Windows Mobile Lumia 920, it will be equipped with a presumably Pentaband LTE chip works worldwide.

It is precisely this ability but Apple could bring new trouble. Both Samsung and HTC reportedly planning to sue the Californians for its LTE patents, should the iPhone 5 will actually contain LTE technology.

NFC

At Sony, Samsung, Nokia and more of the short-range radio NFC is now part of the basic equipment of better smartphones. The technique helps to establish wireless connections to speakers, headsets or other phones, they could also be used for payment.

Yet the possibilities are limited. Moreover, it would be obvious that if Apple would introduce NFC only if there were matching Apple peripherals for it.

Probability: Medium

Dock Connector

The dock connector, the Apple has introduced years ago to equip all i-devices with a standard plug, is likely to be replaced by a much smaller connector. This gives Apple room for more changes to the housing and internal components, but also makes all previous accessory devices that use the dock connector, incompatible. Apple will offer an adapter that provides an interim solution. A coup would be if to confirm rumors that the new connector is compatible with mini USB. Then you would be to charge the battery no longer dependent on Apple's special cable.

Processor

A new system, a new processor. While the iPad 3 is still an improved variant of the A5 chip in the iPhone 4S is used (the A5X), could the iPhone 5 is already a new chip with quad-core technology will find the entrance. The logical name would be A6.

Probability: Medium

Nano-Sim

When Apple introduced the iPhone 4 replace the decades-old mini-Sims by Micro-Sims, a groan went through the ranks of users. Hardly a network operator could provide the new, smaller phone cards. So many iPhone buyers resorted to scissors and schnipselten their old cards small - it works if you make it carefully, actually. Meanwhile, the space-saving micro-sims are widely used by other manufacturers. Well, Apple could move forward again and be the first so-called nano-Sims use that are 40 percent smaller than micro-sims. According iphone-ticker.de Telekom has already begun distribution partners to send such cards, connected with the note: "Give these out to customers not we inform you shortly about how to proceed.".

Memory

So far there is the iPhone 4S in versions with 16, 32 and 64 GB of flash memory. Some blogs oracles now, it will in future also be a version with 128 GB. The desire is understandable, but if he is satisfied, is questionable. A 128-GB iPhone would be even more expensive than the previous models have been, would probably cost about 900 euros.

Probability: low

When does it start?

Almost immediately, but only almost. Apple will accept orders immediately after the official launch of the new model on Wednesday evening on its website. In shops, you will see it, but only just over a week later. Rumors point to the 21th Towards the beginning of September as sales or orders for delivery day. This would fit in, in recent years, Apple has always started on a Friday in the week after the product launch with the sale of the new iPhone models.

Collateral Damage

At least one victim is progress call: the iPhone 3GS. For three years, Apple offers the former top model, now it is sold as a low-cost iPhone for 369 euros. The specifications of the smartphone Oldies - 8 GB memory, 3-megapixel camera, 600 MHz processor - are too far away from what we now expect of a good mobile phone. Depreciated owner of the 3GS will not, however: The new iOS 6 should also run on the old model yet. The replacement could take the iPhone 4S in the 16-GB version, with the entry-level iPhone customers most iOS6 functions and also use Siri could.

And what is to come?

DISPLAY
If you believe Digitimes, an often well-informed industry website that reports from Taiwan on the developments in the computer industry, it will not remain on Wednesday night with a new iPhone and iOS6. On 10 September reported the side, Apple's suppliers have begun mass production of new iMacs and Macbooks with a smaller retina display. Urgently needed, such a revision would be, because the last hardware update of the all-in-one computer goes back more than a year. With an introduction in late September, the new models come just in time for the high-revenue quarter at the beginning of the new school or academic year.

And what is not?

A small iPad. Rumors that Apple is working on a smaller and cheaper version of its tablet computer have persisted for a long time. Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has rejected such a model and to vehemently said. "Something like this is useless unless it puts him in sandpaper so users can sand their fingers on a quarter of their size"

Meanwhile, however, small tablets like Amazon's Kindle Fire and Goolges Nexus 7 are immensely successful. Apple does not want to lose customers in the long term manufacturer of such devices, a 7-inch iPad is probably inevitable. On 12 September, however, you will not get to see. The attention of the public to be here very focused on the new iPhone. An iPad update, Apple could push in four to six weeks later - and would thus reach still the Christmas season.

groovetube
Sep 11th, 2012, 10:24 PM
I skipped 4S as well. Depending on what we see tomorrow I may get the 5. If the screen is wider and taller I'm in. Otherwise I may get a Galaxy Note 2 or stick with the 4 for another year. I use my phone more & more for internet access and the current size isn't cutting it anymore.

I agree with you on the size thing. I'm really hoping apple enlarges in not just a little taller, but just a little wider.

I keep seeing these other phones with awesome screen sizes. But I prefer to run iOS.

Though I did play with win mobile and was pretty surprised at how good it was.

G-Mo
Sep 11th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I have a 9 month old 4S, and I'll be ordering the new iPhone (also unlocked) before December if possible. I'm on the fence, but, I might step up to 32GB.

Tomac
Sep 12th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Anobit acquisition. Flash durability. Faster read/write speeds. New dock connector and cable.

Under-the-hood memory improvements are what I'm rooting for.

MacUnited
Sep 12th, 2012, 09:31 AM
a taller iphone will mean I will be trying a samsung phone for the next year.. and I really don't want to do that! lol so the only hope I'm still clinging on is remembering what happened last year when every website was predicting a different phone and the 4S came out of no where. I remember even some company was selling bumpers and cases that were a little bit bigger.. Apple's reaction then was mute, just like this time around.. unlike when the iphone 4 was leaked which made apple mad!
so here's to hoping we'll get a bigger screen.. not a taller screen..

skanji
Sep 12th, 2012, 10:25 AM
What's going to be interesting is to see how the Canadian telecos react. Upon the release of iphone4, all of us could renew after 2 years into a 3 year contract and receive promotional pricing.

Now, the landscape has changed, and it's 36 months, not 24, which allow you to receive promotional pricing.

I bought the iphone4 on September 6, 2010. It's now going to cost me:
$175 penalty
$35 admin fee
$xxx promo price of the new iphone5

This will enrage most users out there...and i'm sure most are even unaware. Let's hope Rogers et al change the policy for a few months to waive the penalties on us.

#WishfulThinking

John Clay
Sep 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
What's going to be interesting is to see how the Canadian telecos react. Upon the release of iphone4, all of us could renew after 2 years into a 3 year contract and receive promotional pricing.

Now, the landscape has changed, and it's 36 months, not 24, which allow you to receive promotional pricing.

I bought the iphone4 on September 6, 2010. It's now going to cost me:
$175 penalty
$35 admin fee
$xxx promo price of the new iphone5

This will enrage most users out there...and i'm sure most are even unaware. Let's hope Rogers et al change the policy for a few months to waive the penalties on us.

#WishfulThinking

I've decided to purchase unlocked this time. I'm through with being on a contract. A few hundred in savings isn't worth being at Rogers' mercy.

skanji
Sep 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I've decided to purchase unlocked this time. I'm through with being on a contract. A few hundred in savings isn't worth being at Rogers' mercy.

will be interesting to see the cost on an unlocked iphone, as well as availability. I think last time with the iphone4, there was a pretty significant delay between getting the iphone4 unlocked vs the iphone4 through dealers.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was an agreement between the telecos and apple to wait until x months to offer the unlocked version of the new iphone5.

jimbotelecom
Sep 12th, 2012, 10:56 AM

I'll be purchasing my second unlocked directly with Apple. Rogers is at my mercy. I've learned to cleave out good value from them when I dictate terms based on what I need.
As a consumer you get put in jail for 36 months on Rogers terms if you sign a contract.

monokitty
Sep 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM
will be interesting to see the cost on an unlocked iphone, as well as availability.

I'd expect it will cost the same, or very close to, what an unlocked 4S costs now, which is $649 for the 16GB model.

cap10subtext
Sep 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM
September 12th?? Aw, but that's a whole year away!!!

;)

steviewhy
Sep 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM
sudo rm -rf /