Apart from the bug fixes, these are the improvements / new features:
• Move Tool improvements
• Ability to select individual layers in layer groups added
• Transform mode constrain proportions option improvements
• Added the ability to duplicate any object by choosing Edit > Duplicate
• Ability to rotate an object by holding down the Command key and dragging an object handle
• Ability to drag and drop PXM files into the image input parameters of filters
• Ability to drag and drop or paste PXM files with preserved layers into a document
• Ability to drag and drop shape and text layers from the Layers palette to the Finder
• Ability to drag and drop layers from the Layers palette to other applications
• Ability to drag and drop images and text from web browsers
• Ability to drag and drop layers from one document window to another in Full Screen mode
• Ability to place an image from another application into the center of a document by dragging and dropping while holding down the Shift key
• Cursor status changes displayed when dragging and dropping
• Ability to copy and paste image, shape and text layers, and layer groups
• Ability to copy layers from the document window to other applications
• Ability to copy and paste any layer from the Layers palette to another document window
• Disabled the Layers palette contextual menu while Transform is in use
• Text, shape and layer group offset adjusted after copying and pasting
• Angle info improvements
• When Info Bar is shown, information labels will not appear
• In-App Help updated
• Localizations improvements
At that price I picked it up. It's great that it opens Photoshop files and seems to work really well... but without layer styles, I can't use it full time unless someone knows of a way to quickly do what I need to do.
The software I'm designing is very simple in design, so I often create layers that are simple rectangles (a left column, a header bar, etc.). Often I need to quickly change the colour of a rectangle, or turn it into a gradient, or add a border... all things I can do with layer styles. Are there any Pixelmator experts out there that know how I can do this?
If you pop into the Pixelmator forum area, there are discussions on precisely this. Layer styles is one of the top feature requests from users (or should I say "demands" - some folks get really hot and bothered about this stuff).
There are always workarounds to simple things like drop shadows, but anything that required a complex layer style stacking under PS is a challenge in Pixelmator for the moment. I'm sure it's a feature they'll be adding... but nobody knows when.
Some folks have created automated actions for Pixelmator that accomplish some Layer Style features... look around in here.
It should also be noted that Pixelmator has a limited Vector graphics functionality... with EPS and SVG export not yet implemented.
This is interesting. Long story short, i've been using an antiquated version of PS, in fact so old that it can't be upgraded with any available product from Adobe. Brutal. So something current would be awesome to take a look at. THX!
...and the goodness keeps on coming from the Pixelmator team....
v.2.2.1 is now available (Mac App Store link). A bunch of improvements (details), but for me the big one is that you're now able to open and save as the original file format. No more saving as Pixelmator format and then exporting a version in the original format. It was a stupid-extra-step process that they've now eliminated (note that this is an option that must be set in the preferences).
And the other big news from Pixelmator: the next release will *finally* include layer styles!
Now if they can just get around to CMYK support, we'll be rockin'!