ehMac.ca

ehMac.ca (http://www.ehmac.ca/index.php)
-   Anything Mac (http://www.ehmac.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   lion on new air = lic for imac? (http://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=96016)

cchaynes Jul 20th, 2011 07:45 PM

lion on new air = lic for imac?
 
if i download lion i can use that li. on several machines. what if i buy an air? do i then have the ability to download it for other computers without paying?

BigDL Jul 20th, 2011 08:05 PM

It appears that Apple keeps track of all your purchases from the AppStore and any registered computer you own may have any software "App" installed on all your Mac's for the purchase price of one copy of said App.

I have three Mac's in the house presently plus Mac's away at college and university and these Mac's can have the software updated no charge.

Tech Elementz Jul 20th, 2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cchaynes (Post 1113754)
if i download lion i can use that li. on several machines. what if i buy an air? do i then have the ability to download it for other computers without paying?

Yes, you can use the Lion installer on up to 10 Macs (I think). Just put it on a USB and install it on any registered Mac you own. As well, if you buy a Macbook Air, Lion is already installed on it... :D And that goes for any machine today and after July 20, 2011.

CanadaRAM Jul 21st, 2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech Elementz (Post 1113796)
Yes, you can use the Lion installer on up to 10 Macs (I think). Just put it on a USB and install it on any registered Mac you own. As well, if you buy a Macbook Air, Lion is already installed on it... :D And that goes for any machine today and after July 20, 2011.

That wasn't the question however.
The OP wants to know if they can use the Lion that comes on a new Air to upgrade other existing machines - withOUT downloading the installer for $30

Haven't tried it obviously but I can't see the Air coming with a viable installer disk image on it, so I don't know how you would install its Lion to other machines.

At a guess, you still have to pay for the download to get the multi machine license.

mguertin Jul 21st, 2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaRAM (Post 1114161)
That wasn't the question however.
The OP wants to know if they can use the Lion that comes on a new Air to upgrade other existing machines - withOUT downloading the installer for $30

Haven't tried it obviously but I can't see the Air coming with a viable installer disk image on it, so I don't know how you would install its Lion to other machines.

At a guess, you still have to pay for the download to get the multi machine license.

Yep very likely you will have to download it from the Apple store at least once. Technically it's probably possible (but will be a PITA) to get a working setup to install on other machines and would probably involve a fair bit of manual legwork. I'm sure someone will post a howto sooner or later -- it seems like all the required components area available on any Lion installation from what I've seen if you want to jump through the hoops required.

broad Jul 21st, 2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech Elementz (Post 1113796)
Yes, you can use the Lion installer on up to 10 Macs (I think). Just put it on a USB and install it on any registered Mac you own. As well, if you buy a Macbook Air, Lion is already installed on it... :D And that goes for any machine today and after July 20, 2011.

not exactly true. machines that were shipped 4 weeks ago will still have 10.6 installed on them. the only machines you will be able to walk out of a store with today with 10.7 on them would be new airs and new minis. everything else will have 10.6 and a free upgrade to 10.7 through the app store "up to date program"

in a few weeks when older stock has cleared out gradually all new machines will have 10.7 on them.

Brianl Jul 21st, 2011 04:16 PM

Do refurbs have Lion?:confused:

Glipt Jul 21st, 2011 10:40 PM

Refurbs purchased within the specified time period qualify for the up to date program.

Brianl Jul 22nd, 2011 08:20 AM

I know they qualify for the upgrade. The question was do they come with Lion installed?

Tech Elementz Jul 23rd, 2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broad (Post 1114167)
not exactly true. machines that were shipped 4 weeks ago will still have 10.6 installed on them. the only machines you will be able to walk out of a store with today with 10.7 on them would be new airs and new minis. everything else will have 10.6 and a free upgrade to 10.7 through the app store "up to date program"

in a few weeks when older stock has cleared out gradually all new machines will have 10.7 on them.

I guess that would make more sense in a way.... Looks like I got a bit of Lion fever...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc.