Debating on buying a powermac G5 - Page 2 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Honourable Citizen
 
Niteshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
Going on the 'Debating on buying a powermac G5' topic alone, I personally wouldn't even GIVE a friend or anyone a still 'working' G5 IF I had one to give them, unless they liked to tinker and fix and didn't need anything actually reliable!! They had to be one of the worst series of Macs Apple ever released.

I've even seen G4's, 1GHz and above towers out preform most G5's and were MUCH more reliable and available at a much lower cost, depending on your needs. But I sure couldn't recommend buying ANY G5 IMHO if you need something more reliable and don't like to tinker.
Depends on the G5 and G 4. We threw out a number of dead g4 mdd's recently all with bad motherboards or ps. There were some issues with certain G5's but we have 2.0 and 2.3 's still in use that have been trouble free. I thought the 1.8 did have issues and one did have ps issues but in my experience they have not been a problem. Under heavy load the fans all kick in and they do get loud.
__________________
/|/._/__ _/_ _ _ _/__ _
/ |/ / /_'_\/ //_//_// /_'/
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The G5 only has two standard hard drive bays (SATA), and one optical drive bay. Not really that great for internal expandability.

It's super quiet though, and the prices are reasonable now.
G5 PowerMac tower super quiet?? Certainly not in my experience of them. When I upgraded to a Mac Pro I couldn't believe how much quieter and cooler it runs.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #13
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
Going on the 'Debating on buying a powermac G5' topic alone, I personally wouldn't even GIVE a friend or anyone a still 'working' G5 IF I had one to give them, unless they liked to tinker and fix and didn't need anything actually reliable!! They had to be one of the worst series of Macs Apple ever released.

I've even seen G4's, 1GHz and above towers out preform most G5's and were MUCH more reliable and available at a much lower cost, depending on your needs. But I sure couldn't recommend buying ANY G5 IMHO if you need something more reliable and don't like to tinker.
Certainly not my experience, I don't know what G5s you are referring to but when we upgraded one of our G4's to a dual 1.8GHz CPU G5 in the marcom department I was working in at the time the speed increase was immediately noticeable to everyone. As I was the one who got to use it I was the envy of every one in the department.

Regarding reliability all I can say is that we ran it hard for 4 years without any hardware issues whatsoever. We had it only for 4 years because we then moved to Intel Mac Pros.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #14
Full Citizen
 
preformalover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fraser Valley
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter View Post
I have two G5's and actually ram isn't as cheap as you think plus it's getting harder to come by. Also do you have Leopard server? It wasn't cheap while a Mac Mini server would basically cost the same as just the sw and you nearly got the hardware for free.

I would really wait and see what the much rumored Mac Mini upgrade will bring and pricing of the app store upgrade to Lion server.
I do have leopard server my company upgraded there servers and gave everyone that wanted one a leopard server license. And does anyone have how loud the G5's are in dB's?
preformalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #15
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by preformalover View Post
I do have leopard server my company upgraded there servers and gave everyone that wanted one a leopard server license. And does anyone have how loud the G5's are in dB's?
I just did a quick search for you and couldn't come up with any numbers for you, however I can tell you this from my own anecdotal experience when the G5s are under load they produce significant fan noise much more than a Mac Pro.

When you are doing light work they are obviously much less noisy but start doing some Photoshop or video work, even moving big files around and the fans make quite a noise.

The reason why they are making the noise is the significant factor (it the reason why a G5 was never put into a laptop)... the G5 CPUs run very hot and that heat gets released into the room. So if you need some spot heating in addition to a computer a G5 is for you.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Honourable Citizen
 
pm-r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brentwood Bay BC
Posts: 14,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
Certainly not my experience, I don't know what G5s you are referring to but when we upgraded one of our G4's to a dual 1.8GHz CPU G5 in the marcom department I was working in at the time the speed increase was immediately noticeable to everyone. As I was the one who got to use it I was the envy of every one in the department.

Regarding reliability all I can say is that we ran it hard for 4 years without any hardware issues whatsoever. We had it only for 4 years because we then moved to Intel Mac Pros.
Actually I was a bit misleading with my overly generalized remark about the Mac G5, and I was just thinking of the iMac G5 models that were not exactly reliable rather than the Power Mac G5 towers.
pm-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #17
Full Citizen
 
preformalover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fraser Valley
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
Actually I was a bit misleading with my overly generalized remark about the Mac G5, and I was just thinking of the iMac G5 models that were not exactly reliable rather than the Power Mac G5 towers.
I remeber my friends iMac G5 he complety destroyed it trying to change some capacitors, but back to the noise element, like I said this is a server running light wait things DNS, DHCP, and maybe a directory service not an extreme processor sucker (atleast I think). But also if you have ever heard a poweredge server they run at high 70 to low 80 dB and you think a G5 is a spce heater 20 minutes with this thing on in december and the office its sitting in is a sauna.
preformalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #18
Full Citizen
 
garf1108's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 436
No problems with my old G5 although not used as much since I got a Mac Pro
__________________
PowerMac G5 2.3 6GB RAM 750GB HDD
Mac Pro 2.66GHz
iPod Touch 16GB
iPad 32GB 3G/WiFi
MacBook Pro 2.66ghZ C2D
MacBook Air 13" 1.8GHz i7
garf1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #19
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 61
One thing you should do is search logic board failure for PM G5's. There's a pretty high incidence, and mine died of this exactly at the 5 year time period. I was told that I was lucky I got 5 years out of it!
Northweldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #20
Full Citizen
 
preformalover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fraser Valley
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northweldor View Post
One thing you should do is search logic board failure for PM G5's. There's a pretty high incidence, and mine died of this exactly at the 5 year time period. I was told that I was lucky I got 5 years out of it!
I heard there were only significant problems with the water cooled ones with the higher clock speed is that right?
preformalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cost, dell, trade

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Check: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 MannyP Design Anything Mac 10 Jun 19th, 2008 11:36 AM
Can you upgrade the cpu in a Powermac G5? sigkill-9 Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 7 Apr 12th, 2008 05:25 PM
PowerMac G4 vs. PowerMac G5 grant_howard Anything Mac 7 Apr 12th, 2007 09:04 AM
PowerMac G5 Single 1.8ghz users! phobic Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 0 Aug 10th, 2005 09:21 AM
Dual G5 PowerMac for $1799.99 Cdn at London Drugs! Elias26 Anything Mac 5 Aug 8th, 2005 05:32 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!