Change Eject Key - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 01:24 AM   #1
New Neighbour
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Change Eject Key

I am using a normal (non-mac) keyboard and i have the F12 key set to Dashboard, but sometimes I have to repeatedly tap the F12 key before the Dashboard comes up and sometimes have to all kinds of crazy things before F12 will make it come up. I believe the reason for this is that since this is a standard keyboard that does not have an eject button, mac maps Eject to F12. I know i can change the Dashboard button to a different key but I like it being F12 and dont want to change it, I would prefer to map a different key to Eject. Any one know how to do this or if its even possible?
yelvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Honourable Citizen
 
chas_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 11,953
Send a message via AIM to chas_m
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvert View Post
I am using a normal (non-mac) keyboard
I believe I will take a bit of offense at that.

Given that Windows is the one that rips off Mac ideas, and that the Mac pre-dates Windows machines (and thus the Windows keyboard) by quite a few years, it is OUR keyboard that is the "normal" one thank you very much!

Anyway, in future please just say Windows or PC keyboard. Cheers.
chas_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 7,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I believe I will take a bit of offense at that.

Given that Windows is the one that rips off Mac ideas, and that the Mac pre-dates Windows machines (and thus the Windows keyboard) by quite a few years, it is OUR keyboard that is the "normal" one thank you very much!

Anyway, in future please just say Windows or PC keyboard. Cheers.
Offended? Why? Did you design the Apple keyboard?

You know, some people prefer something better than a metal plate with Chiclets to type on. Besides is a Logitech keyboard considered a PC keyboard? How about a Matias?

Rather than get into a hissyfit over something nonexistent, howsabout you say something constructive? Or nothing at all?

~

Yelvert: Have you checked out DoubleCommand or Ukulele? I've also heard of KeyRemap4MacBook (also works with iMacs, MacPros, etc.) but I'm not familiar with it.
MannyP Design is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Vorlon Ambassador
 
Kosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,295
By the way Chas, I dare say there were computers BEFORE the Mac and Windows OS. They ran OSes like DOS or Apple DOS. So there were keyboards before the Mac and PC (windows). So the Mac can't claim that it had the STANDARD keyboard.


Damn, there I go giving away my age again....
__________________
-- Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 150GB Raptor HD, 500GB HD, Superdrive, Radeon X1900XT, Bluetooth, Airport Exteme, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers, 30" ACD
-- PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5, 2.5GB RAM, 160GB HD, Superdrive, Radeon X800XT, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme
-- Macbook Pro 2.53 15", 4GB, 320GB HD, SuperDrive, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme
Kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere, near Ottawa
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
By the way Chas, I dare say there were computers BEFORE the Mac and Windows OS. They ran OSes like DOS or Apple DOS. So there were keyboards before the Mac and PC (windows). So the Mac can't claim that it had the STANDARD keyboard.


Damn, there I go giving away my age again....
There were computers and keyboards well before Windows, and the keyboards had the function key on the left in a double row where they could be easily used in combination with <Alt> <Ctrl> <Shift> with two fingers and without taking the hands of, like lots of people say: "function keys where god intended them to be". Alas when windows came out everything changed for the worse.
equisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Bald by choice
 
jamesB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The big island west of Vancouver
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvert View Post
I am using a normal (non-mac) keyboard and i have the F12 key set to Dashboard, but sometimes I have to repeatedly tap the F12 key before the Dashboard comes up and sometimes have to all kinds of crazy things before F12 will make it come up. I believe the reason for this is that since this is a standard keyboard that does not have an eject button, mac maps Eject to F12. I know i can change the Dashboard button to a different key but I like it being F12 and dont want to change it, I would prefer to map a different key to Eject. Any one know how to do this or if its even possible?
This utility should do it for you, Spark lets you go wild with re-mapping your keyboard.
__________________
"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol is a man nailed to two pieces of wood"
-George Carlin
jamesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: londonon
Posts: 376
Keyboards, as in typewriters, used to have raised bumps on the D and K keys to help orient and stabilize a touch-typist's hands to the home position. Mac keyboards followed this convention.

Alas PC keyboards came and made everything worse by marking the F and J keys instead. Using those keys makes no sense because the index fingers have to cover more keys so they have to roam more than the middle finger and are less effective at keeping the hands locked to home.

Unfortunately, in the late nineties Mac keyboard followed suit.
biovizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eject, key mapping, keyboard

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CD won't eject Roofjac Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 12 Mar 20th, 2012 03:15 PM
Trading Carbon 'Offsets' Called Into Question SINC Everything Else, eh! 26 Jan 7th, 2008 12:02 AM
Kyoto Has 'Failed.' Scientists Call For New Climate Change Policy SINC Everything Else, eh! 171 Dec 9th, 2007 09:11 PM
Confirm Application Change message & connect to server question? spiralgirl Anything Mac 1 May 29th, 2007 12:08 AM
Change mp3 default back to iTunes? dmbfan Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Help & Troubleshooting 4 Oct 18th, 2005 11:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!