Apple disables ATOM Processor in 10.6.2 - Page 9 - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #81
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehMax View Post
I can't see how anything could cannibalize Mac Pro sales any more than the iMac already is.
Yes, well certainly the new quad core iMac is blurring the lines more than ever. However, it is still the "expandability"/easy user customization issue of a mini tower that would potentially affect Mac Pro sales more than the processor/memory IMHO.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #82
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-rui View Post
yes, i also currently have a 3870. great card, but my issue is relative to what's available on the windows side of things apple is 2 years behind on video cards.

I'm not saying that they have to write drivers for EVERY card out there, but they should pick a few , and keep CURRENT with what's out there.

And they should also NOT charge a 200% mark up on the card relative to the same thing on the PC side.
No doubt. The video card aspect is definitely a weak point for Macs, pretty much always has been.

Last edited by screature; Nov 7th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.
screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #83
Retired Mayor of ehMac
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,264
Send a message via AIM to ehMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by screature View Post
No doubt. The video card aspect is definitely a week point for Macs, pretty much always has been.
Which my consumer Mini Mac Pro would help fix.

If you build it, better video cards will come. If the only market for ATI and Nvidia is a small percentage of Mac Pro, the economy of scale takes effect.

Admit it... you want a Mini Mac Pro.
ehMax is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #84
Honourable Citizen
 
screature's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Aylmer (Gatineau) across the river from Ottawa
Posts: 20,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehMax View Post
Which my consumer Mini Mac Pro would help fix.

If you build it, better video cards will come. If the only market for ATI and Nvidia is a small percentage of Mac Pro, the economy of scale takes effect.

Admit it... you want a Mini Mac Pro.
No, not really. I just want the money to be able to afford:

mac_pro_config.jpg


screature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #85
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 17,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehMax View Post
I personally think there is a substantial demand for something like the following. How many Mac users here would like:

Affordable Sexy Mac box (Maybe a little less than half the size of a Mac Pro) that had:
- Easily accessible, upgradable video card (Support for 2 displays). Could upgrade to newer, faster, cheaper video cards as they came out.
- With above, flexibility for whatever size / type display(s) you like. Could upgrade to bigger, newer, cheaper displays as they came out.
- Easily accessible, 2 full size 3.5" SATA drive bays. Could pop in more internal storage as needed or put in 1 SSD Boot drive and 1 2TB storage drive etc...
- 4 Ram slots to go up to 16GB of Ram if so desired.
Sell for around $1299 Cdn.
Count me in, especially if it had a tray load optical drive.

FWIW Make airport and bluetooth optional rather than built in. So many of us will never use either.
__________________
Ad links appearing in my posts were not placed there by me. I do not endorse any products which may be linked to my posts. Do not click on those links.

I retain all rights to photo-images I have posted on ehMac. They were posted that other members of the community could enjoy them. They may not be used or sold in any other way without my written consent.

Bill C-51 is an act of Terrorism! It cannot be fixed and should be immediately repealed!
eMacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #86
Honourable Citizen
 
fjnmusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sherwood Park, AB
Posts: 10,314
Never could quite undertstand how someone can refer to a computer as 'sexy'. Unless, of course, you're using it for purposes other than, er……computing. I imagine some people develop a very, er, close relationship with their machine.
__________________
"I am disappointed and deeply concerned that there is no objective evidence to support my position. So far."
- Spock 

His: Intel iMac 20" 2.16 / Macbook 2.1 GHz / 8GB iPod Nano / 2GB iPod Nano / iPod Touch / iPhone 3GS / iPhone 4S
Hers: Macbook 2.1 GHz / 4GB iPod Nano / iPhone 4
Kid 1: 4GB iPod Nano / iPad 16WiFi
Kid 2: 4GB iPod Nano/ iPad 16WiFi
Family: iPod Touch / Apple Extreme Router 802.11n / Two Apple Express's w/Airtunes /Two Apple TV's 40GB / Apple TV 2
fjnmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #87
Honourable Citizen
 
fyrefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,415
Well, 10.6.2 is out, and all reports indicate that it's Bye Bye ATOM - at least until the hackers get an older kernel or a hacked kernel working...
__________________
Steve Jobs re: iTunes on Windows: "It's like giving a glass of ice water to somebody in hell"
fyrefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #88
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjnmusic View Post
Never could quite undertstand how someone can refer to a computer as 'sexy'. Unless, of course, you're using it for purposes other than, er……computing. I imagine some people develop a very, er, close relationship with their machine.
Words can have more than just a literal meaning

Sexy Definition | Definition of Sexy at Dictionary.com

see #3
9780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #89
vfr
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrefly View Post
Well, 10.6.2 is out, and all reports indicate that it's Bye Bye ATOM - at least until the hackers get an older kernel or a hacked kernel working...
The current 'hack' is to make the 10.6.2 kernel think it is running on a Intel Core CPU. Works real good.

vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #90
Indigent Academic
 
rgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Gulag of E ON
Posts: 8,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehMax View Post
I personally think there is a substantial demand for something like the following. How many Mac users here would like:

Affordable Sexy Mac box (Maybe a little less than half the size of a Mac Pro) that had:
- Easily accessible, upgradable video card (Support for 2 displays). Could upgrade to newer, faster, cheaper video cards as they came out.
- With above, flexibility for whatever size / type display(s) you like. Could upgrade to bigger, newer, cheaper displays as they came out.
- Easily accessible, 2 full size 3.5" SATA drive bays. Could pop in more internal storage as needed or put in 1 SSD Boot drive and 1 2TB storage drive etc...
- 4 Ram slots to go up to 16GB of Ram if so desired.
Sell for around $1299 Cdn.
+10

I could move a dozen of these by tomorrow morning, given my client base.
__________________
"not all those who wander are lost….." j.r.r. tolkien
rgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
10.6.2, hackintosh, snow leopard

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!