I've been trying to sell my iBook for the last couple of weeks and a week ago got an email (from another posting here in Europe) from someone in Greece wanting to buy the laptop.
Long story short, she asked what my lowest price was, agreed to it and said she was going to mail a Euro cheque to me. Gave her my name and Box address (not my home address) and a phone number to contact me.
Receive an email stating the cheque is mailed, but it was for too much (accountants misunderstanding). Requests that i cash it, keep the agreed price and that they would send information to me as to where to 'Western Union' the remaining funds. Some charitable organization.
Anyone have any comments on this? Or read of 'questionable' selling arrangements like this. For me it's not a big deal, still have the laptop, I'll just wait until the cheque clears IF it comes.
I've seen (or heard) of this scam before ... you are going to lose your laptop and the "extra" money you send them.
The problem is this ... the cheque will clear but because of some abscure banking rule it will take longer to clear the originating bank. Your bank assumes it has cleared in the 7 days (usual rule) so you think everything is up and up and you ship the laptop and the extra cash. 7 - 14 days later the cheque is returned because it's no good - opps too late - you are now out the laptop and the extra cash and there's nothing you can do.
I would do one of two things - cash the cheque and sit on it for at least a month before you ship anything (what are they going to do - fly over and smack you?) or Two ... send it back.
Common sense rule here - nobody pays more than they should, ever, for something they are buying
the crap is piled high ... now trying to keep up
I wouldn't even consider doing it. Even IF you sit around for a month waiting for this cheque to clear... that's a month longer for your iBook to depreciate. You'll end up having to try to sell it again afterwards.
Email them back, tell them to forget it, and move on, bro. Seriously.
Thanks all for your input. I did some further research and found it is pretty much as you put it. Cash the cheque, send the difference, send the computer...7-14 days later I get a call from the bank saying the cheque is bad, I'm not in the hole for a few grand.
I'm holding onto the ibook till a legit buyer comes along, keeping the bum cheque as a reminder of what can go on out there in this crazy world, and I've emailed the guy to say no go.