I need a push in the right direction! [HELP!] - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
I need a push in the right direction! [HELP!]

OK, so I've lived with my 17" Powerbook for almost 4 years and its high time I make the move to something bigger and something that has a bit more umph to it. I've debated for quite some time and just need the final push to get me over the edge.

I spent roughly 2k on my laptop and although its a bit of cash after all this time it has felt worth it. I am looking at the 2.8GHz, 24" 500GB HD, 2G Ram, iMac and am wondering: Will I feel the same way as I did with my Powerbook? Is it WORTH the price. Will I enjoy it for a good 4 years at minimum and at the end will I feel like, "hey, money well spent!" There's nothing worse than a purchase that leaves a sour taste of regret in your mouth.

I really wanted to get the new iMacs when the first generation came out, but waited a while for the "kinks" to get worked out. I figured there wouldn't be many lemons floating around.

Also, I never bothered with AppleCare with my laptop. I try to take really good care of my things, not to mention apple made a rock solid design of the laptop. Do you suggest I go with AppleCare with my iMac?

Give me your insights! All critique and comments are welcome (:

[Addendum] Where do you recommend I buy this Mac with the stats I outlined above? Apple Store? I live in Toronto and am curious to know if there are any reputable Resellers any of you have dealt with and recommend.

[Addendum deux!] I was a student of the U of T and know my ID still lets me into the U of T Apple Store on the Apple.ca website. Does Apple, or the U of T apple store check if you're still a current student to allow you the discount? Sketchy, I know! But curious nonetheless!
Jerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #2
Mac Guru
 
monokitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 14,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich View Post
I am looking at the 2.8GHz, 24" 500GB HD, 2G Ram, iMac and am wondering: Will I feel the same way as I did with my Powerbook? Is it WORTH the price. Will I enjoy it for a good 4 years at minimum and at the end will I feel like, "hey, money well spent!"
Yes. (But, of course, something better always comes out shortly after [less than a year], and no computer lasts forever. As long as you know and are comfortable with those facts, then yes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich View Post
I really wanted to get the new iMacs when the first generation came out, but waited a while for the "kinks" to get worked out. I figured there wouldn't be many lemons floating around.
A computer with a single or even two (or even three) broken parts over its lifespan doesn't make it a lemon. Despite the iMac being around for a long time now, that doesn't guarantee yours will last 4 years trouble-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich View Post
Also, I never bothered with AppleCare with my laptop. I try to take really good care of my things, not to mention apple made a rock solid design of the laptop. Do you suggest I go with AppleCare with my iMac?
Yes. You were lucky with your previous Mac. If the display or logic board goes south on your new 24" iMac, it will cost more than half the price of what you original paid for the computer originally to have it repaired. This is Apple's motivation to push the purchase of AppleCare - or a new computer if the failed computer isn't covered by an APP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich View Post
[Addendum deux!] I was a student of the U of T and know my ID still lets me into the U of T Apple Store on the Apple.ca website. Does Apple, or the U of T apple store check if you're still a current student to allow you the discount? Sketchy, I know! But curious nonetheless!
Type in any random combination of letters and numbers and it will let you in. The numbers are never (or rarely) verified. However, if you go down the ethically and morally correct road, you will not take advantage of said EDU discount if you really don't qualify for it. The EDU savings aren't huge in any case.
__________________
ACMT
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) 2.3 GHz Core i7, 16GB, 256GB M4 SSD
iPhone 8 - 64GB S/G Sound System Audio Engine A2 Display UltraSharp U2412M 24"
Custom Built Gaming PC Kaby Lake Edition | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 1070 8G
monokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Honourable Citizen
 
Adrian.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,695
For the education store just say your are k-12 faculty...you just click a little green button that says "I Agree" (that I am a faculty member) and poof 200 bucks disappears from the price.
__________________
His:
MBP 2.4 GHZ
iPad 32Gb WiFi+3G
iPhone 4 16GB
Airport Express

Hers:
Macbook Pro 13" 2.26GHZ
iPhone 4 32GB
iPod Touch 32GB
Adrian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Push to Talk Cell phone Headset... Help! singingcrow Everything Else, eh! 0 Jun 6th, 2007 08:45 PM
Push policy?? MacDoc Anything Mac 21 May 5th, 2006 02:23 PM
Need direction re: AppleCare service Ohenri Anything Mac 2 Apr 5th, 2006 01:22 AM
Can a Powerbook 15" push a 26" LCD/TV Applelover Anything Mac 5 Jan 6th, 2006 07:17 PM
Radical Islam push discovered iKV Everything Else, eh! 21 Jul 26th, 2005 01:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!