AEBS and access point. - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Full Citizen
 
phuviano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 657
AEBS and access point.

I currently have an AEBSn, running only on "5ghz N only". If I were to buy an access point that supports (N, G, B, and A), but only runs at 2.4ghz would I be able to use that access point??

I'm assuming no, but some one with more experience please jump in.
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini, 2.3 i7, 16gb ram, 250gb Samsung 840 SSD.
phuviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Full Citizen
 
Hodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuviano View Post
I currently have an AEBSn, running only on "5ghz N only". If I were to buy an access point that supports (N, G, B, and A), but only runs at 2.4ghz would I be able to use that access point??

I'm assuming no, but some one with more experience please jump in.
I don't see why you couldn't - I have an Airport Extreme and a Linksys wireless router - the AE runs N at 5Ghz and the other is B/G at 2.4. NO problems.
Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #3
Full Citizen
 
phuviano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
I don't see why you couldn't - I have an Airport Extreme and a Linksys wireless router - the AE runs N at 5Ghz and the other is B/G at 2.4. NO problems.
Are your router and AE connected wirelessly together or wired. Sorry forgot to put in my initial post. I wanted a wireless access point that is not connected to the router by a wire.
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini, 2.3 i7, 16gb ram, 250gb Samsung 840 SSD.
phuviano is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #4
Honourable Citizen
 
Vexel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,530
You can make your N network run at 2.4Ghz and have it compatible with B/G wireless clients.. but, you're losing a lot of speed over your network compared to 5Ghz N.

2.4/5Ghz B/G compatible = 130Mbit/s
5Ghz N only = 270Mbit/s (astonishingly fast for wireless)

That is of course, if you have machines capable of N speeds. If you don't, then you don't have anything to worry about either way.
Vexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Full Citizen
 
phuviano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexel View Post
You can make your N network run at 2.4Ghz and have it compatible with B/G wireless clients.. but, you're losing a lot of speed over your network compared to 5Ghz N.

2.4/5Ghz B/G compatible = 130Mbit/s
5Ghz N only = 270Mbit/s (astonishingly fast for wireless)

That is of course, if you have machines capable of N speeds. If you don't, then you don't have anything to worry about either way.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the info, just wanted to confirm.
__________________
Late 2012 Mac Mini, 2.3 i7, 16gb ram, 250gb Samsung 840 SSD.
phuviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Full Citizen
 
Hodge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuviano View Post
Are your router and AE connected wirelessly together or wired. Sorry forgot to put in my initial post. I wanted a wireless access point that is not connected to the router by a wire.
They are wired as you suspected, not wireless...
Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AEBS (Gigabit N) Issues...what the? azrail Anything Mac 5 Jan 12th, 2008 07:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!