What would you do?... new iMac vs. G4upgrade? with a twist.... - ehMac.ca
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Advertise


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #1
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North of T.O.
Posts: 34
What would you do?... new iMac vs. G4upgrade? with a twist....

Hello,

Ok, here is the situation:

Bought a new iMac 20" 2.0ghz... (very excited) ....2 days before Apple released their new improved iMac (iSight). So, I call Apple and decide to have the iMac that arrives at my door 9 days after placing order shipped back with plans to order the new iMac 2.1ghz as soon as I recieve my refund....... seems like a very simple plan...

So, I promplty ship it back unopened (oh, to give it back hurts) but dreams of the latest model make it all good. Now. as of today - it has been almost 4 weeks since they recieved my computer back and I am still awaiting credit to my cc so that I can buy my (not so excited any longer) new iMac.

After several calls and some empty promises I am left very frustrated. Yes, i'm sure I will get the credit back eventually but now I'm so dissappointed in Apple's service I'm not convinced I want their new computer. Yes, i absolutely love their computer but their customer service really shouldnt be this frustrating.

I have priced it out and for about $1000 (maybe less) I can upgrade my PowerMac G4 digital audio - to 1.4ghz.... 1.5gig ram.....DVD drive....... OS X with iLife etc.......


what would you do?
Upgrade your ancient G4 which you absolutely loved in it's day .... or get over it and bitterly buy an iMac (iSight) because it's a fabulous computer and your excited to move into the "now" with OS X and GarageBand etc...... (I do alot of graphics work - illustrator, photoshop, golive, flash etc.... if that helps with the advice).

Oh, and please clue me in on what the "Intel" can offer to a Mac? Should I upgrade the G4 now and wait for this other - intel -

Thanks in advance to all responses. Greatly appreciated.
__________________
Been using Macs since 1991.... ]MacBook Pro - unibody 2.4ghz NEW iPhone 4 iPHONE 16Gig, iMac 2.4Hz, PowerMac G4 466 (digital audio) OS 9.1. PowerMac 475, LC III, Classic IIxe
Oompa_Loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #2
Full Citizen
 
mac_geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Posts: 923
Send a message via AIM to mac_geek Send a message via MSN to mac_geek Send a message via Skype™ to mac_geek
Patience is a virtue.

Upgrading your G4 simply as a reactionary move against Apple's poor customer service to you will only make affect you.

Wait for the G5.
mac_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #3
Full Citizen
 
Irie Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Bruce
Posts: 406
You can always contact your CC company and ask for a charge back. If Apple is slow at giving you your refund talk, a dispute will at least get your funds back to you.
Irie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie Guy
You can always contact your CC company and ask for a charge back. If Apple is slow at giving you your refund talk, a dispute will at least get your funds back to you.
credit card companies can be wonderful people.

i once had a dispute with a mailorder retailer.... i mailed back some memory that i said was faulty, and they tested it and it worked for them.... so they were going to charge me a restocking fee. because as far as i was concerned, it didn't work, i wasn't happy about the fee.

so i called my cc company, and they dealt with the company and i got my full refund.

the funny thing is, when i got my cc bill the next month, i realised that i'd called the wrong cc company. i have two cards, and i'd forgotton which one i'd used to buy the memory in the first place... and picked the wrong one! so they'd dealt with a query that wasn't actually their problem! marvellous!
BobbyFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 554
You can pack all the processor power and RAM into that old g4 that you want but your bus speed will always be 133mhz. I'd wait for the G5
zigzagry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Honourable Citizen
 
NBiBooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick
Posts: 1,473
Dude, G5 all the way.
__________________
My gear: White MacBook 1.83, 2 Gigs of Ram, Combo Drive, OS 10.5, iPod Video 30 Gig, Canon Digital Rebel XT. iPhone 3G 8 Gig.
NBiBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #7
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Burlington, ONT
Posts: 222
I just sold my G4 466 and picked up an imac and I love it. Much Much Faster. I have the last generation 2.0 gig, with an external isight camera. I actually prefer this since you can't move the isight camera arround in the new ones. I got it for 1189 (demo) at compusmart in the heartland town center on mavis. They still have a 20" demo for I think $1699. I was considering upgrading too, but as bobbyfdet said you can't work arround the bus speed, also the newer ram in the G5's is faster, video card is faster too and you will probably have Dual Layer issues with any third party DVD writer with idvd 5.01 (I did). Sell your G4 while you still can, when the intel's come out your G4 will be best used as a boat anchor.

my 2 cents.
Admant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #8
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,012
.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; Jul 16th, 2008 at 02:14 AM.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #9
Full Citizen
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North of T.O.
Posts: 34
Wow, thanks greatly for all the advice!

MasterBlaster -
multiple or raided hard drives - i dont know what those terms really mean so I guess either one would be fine,

clutter - isn't of huge concern,

OS 9 - since that is all I know right now but would really love to move onto OSX - I guess I would love to have the option of both ...doesnt have to be both on same machine

PCI slot-USB2-SATAcontroller - doubt that i would need to expand using any PCI slots, USB 2 would be great, SATA controller not sure

You had suggested dual G4 processor, I'm sure that would push my upgrade over $1000 and I think I would prefer to stick with a single anyways. I would be doing the upgrading myself so switching too much up within my G4 might be too overwhelming. I just wanted a great computer from Apple running OSX, capable of doing heavy graphics work and solid with GarageBand.

It seemed like such a good idea when I set out on this adventure last month.
__________________
Been using Macs since 1991.... ]MacBook Pro - unibody 2.4ghz NEW iPhone 4 iPHONE 16Gig, iMac 2.4Hz, PowerMac G4 466 (digital audio) OS 9.1. PowerMac 475, LC III, Classic IIxe
Oompa_Loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #10
Honourable Citizen
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,012
.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; Jul 16th, 2008 at 02:14 AM.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice re. New iMac... Stephanie Anything Mac 2 Oct 9th, 2005 12:03 PM
Rebuilding New Orleans, but only for rich white fok MACSPECTRUM Everything Else, eh! 22 Sep 18th, 2005 07:24 PM
iMac 1.8Ghz - New Or Used? PLEASE HELP! 90s_Kid Anything Mac 25 Sep 5th, 2005 06:00 PM
Any users with a new 20" imac? vapour Anything Mac 19 May 19th, 2005 08:16 PM
Mossberg of the WSJ Loves the New iMac! IronMac Anything Mac 1 Sep 23rd, 2004 08:28 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012, ehMac.ca All rights reserved. ehMac is not affiliated with Apple Inc. Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV are trademarks of Apple Inc. Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

Tribe.ca: Urban living in Toronto!